Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Remove load bearing wall without permit

diybob
Getting Established

Remove load bearing wall without permit

Hi There.

Has anyone removed a load bearing wall without a permit?

It seems quite the process to get the permit ... Engineer, surveyor, permit. Effectively $4.5k before you even start, and possibly more than the works itself.

When I ask, I mean using a licensed builder with lots of experience removing walls.

I was speaking to a builder today, helpful guy. Said he can recommend some engineers and surveyors he works with. But also said most people with projects this small don't bother with permits (it is definitely load bearing). He said they have a book that tells them which beams to put in based on sizes, etc.

What are the repercussions?

Thanks

Diybob

Re: Remove load bearing wall without permit

@diybob 

Hello!

We are in melbs and looking to remove a wall. Any chance you could let us know how much it cost in the end? Do you have any recommendations of who to use? I would love to know! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Remove load bearing wall without permit

Hello @abbeyrubi 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us.

Let me tag @diybob to make sure they are aware of your question. I take it you are planning on redesigning part of your house for more open plan living. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the area? I'm sure our members would be keen to see what you have in mind. 

If you have any questions regarding your planning, please don't hesitate to ask.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects