Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Removing sticker glue from walls

paulcherian
Just Starting Out

Removing sticker glue from walls

wipe-rv-wallpaper-residue.jpg

How can i remove all sticker glue from the walls and ceilings before painting?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: painting

Hi @paulcherian,

Welcome to Workshop. It's fantastic to have you join us. I trust you will receive lots of fantastic advice and inspiration from our community members, both for this project and for many to come in the future.

It might be helpful if you clarified what the residue is from. Did you remove wallpaper?

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

@paulcherian

I'm guessing kids bedroom? Kids love stickers! 

I would use sandpaper and a sanding block. If any glue still stubbonly refuses to budge then an electric hand sander should finish it off. 

RodBR
Just Starting Out

Hello @paulcherian,

There are some products as Goof Off. They are really good removing this kind of residues, betterand helps speeding up the removal process.
But in some cases a sharp knife will do the job too.

Hope you get good results.

Cheers,

Rod
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @RodBR,

Many thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing some advice. Much appreciated. Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join the community. It sounds like you have plenty of experience to share. I'm looking forward to reading about your projects and plans. Please feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Rick64
Getting Established

I am a painter by trade and come across this problem often. I find the easiest way is with a long handled wallboard scraper, for the finer stuff use a finer razor blade scraper. If you remove some painy in the process just fill with some gyprock topping cement.
kezza14
Finding My Feet

Removing glue

Hi

There are a few ways to remove glue from walls.  There is product called Triceleam which can be used also goof off and even acetone will remove glue from walls.   You could also try steaming the glue off especially if it was old wall paper.  Just becareful not to remove the paper coating from the chiprock as you will then need to use a filler to get your smooth finish.   Wash your wash again before painting to ensure that you have a smooth finish.   Good luck

artrato3
Cultivating a Following

Re: Removing glue

I found degreaser excellent !
Gosurvey
Getting Established

Re: Removing sticker glue from walls

Use a product called "ZOFF". It's brilliant !!

JohnM1
Finding My Feet

Re: Removing sticker glue from walls

Hi

My first go to is Tea Tree oil.

Works well when removing sticker/label adhesive from jars, walls vinyl and most plastics.

Happy painting

John

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects