Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Renovation of existing built-in desk

tem1985
Finding My Feet

Renovation of existing built-in desk

Hi.

I’m currently looking at updating an existing desk built into a nook in my villa. I love the timber planks you can get from Bunnings but the length on the desk is 2400mm and I can’t find anything long enough. I have built in supports on either end and one in the middle but looking for other solutions? Any help is appreciated for this rookie 

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: renovation of existinf built in desk

Hello @tem1985 

Hello and Welcome to Bunnings Workshop! Would it be possible to post a photo of the existing area you wish to renovate? It would give us a better idea of what we can recommend as far as bench tops are concerned. There are ways and means to extend and join the timber planks in order for you to get the length you want but lets have a look first so we can assess it properly. Looking forward to the pictures.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

750FEBC3-DC18-44BF-AA78-0EE0058809FB.jpeg

Hi @redracer01 thanks. I have attached. Originally was thinking I would have to glue over laminate but laminate can be removed. Hopefully can get a piece of timber longer or a solution as most seem to only go to 2200mm

Hello @tem1985 

Thank you so much for posting the picture! Depending on budget and effort you have several options. 

First

You can buy the 2200mm panel of your choice and add extensions at the ends to reach 2400mm. The extensions can be be made of the same timber ( you may have to purchase a short piece ) and fixed with flat angle brackets at the bottom to reinforce the timber join. But you will need to use angle brackets at the back and at the sides of the table to secure the timber bench top as the additions will not be strong enough to hold the entire bench top without support.

Second

You can choose a project panel / timber bench top at 2400 but these tops are not stained or finished so you will need to do a bit of work on them to finish it off. The pay off is that you get to stain and varnish it to your hearts content and you gain skill and knowledge for future projects.

Third

Final option is to purchase the bench top pre-made. THINK bench top has a host of bench tops ready to go at 2400mm and even Kaboodle have 2400mm bench tops but they need to be ordered at the shop. You may get lucky and get one that is currently in stock but of course they will cost more and not at the same price point as the timber panels.

I can't see the 2400mm plain timber panels online at the moment but I know they are at the store. As they are promotional items I suggest going for a visit if it is safe to do so. Make sure to ask the trade counter as sometimes they place these panels around the store as they are promotional. You can speak to the in store kitchen expert to get prices and their opinion about the timber tops. I hope my suggestions help. Please keep us informed as we look forward to the completion of your project.

Cheers,

Red

You can use bench top joiners to join the extensions as well.You can use bench top joiners to join the extensions as well.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Amazing, Thankyou! I decided with a custom order kitchen bench top through Bunnings. Appreciate your help!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects