Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Repair or replace aluminium glass sliding doors ?

doods
Just Starting Out

Repair or replace aluminium glass sliding doors ?

B0513815-30B1-4A05-AB85-5B6F60F25952.jpeg

Our new old home has aluminium glass sliding doors in the bedrooms and bathroom (?!). Trying to decide whether to repair and spray them to update or to take them out. 

Maybe put new doors  of the same size  in OR put in windows of the size of the doors OR smaller windows and replace  the external  cladding and plaster inside.

Would appreciate any thoughts!

Luke1
Just Starting Out

Re: Repair or replace aluminium glass sliding doors ?

I would respray them that's what I have done on all my houses and they always turned out looking brand new as long as there is no scratches on the glass I have found it's better to re-paint them.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to Workshop @doods. It's great to have you join us and I trust you will receive loads of helpful advice and inspiration for your projects from our community members.

When you say you might need to repair the doors, can I ask what problem you are currently having with them?

In regards to updating the look, you might be interested in this previous discussion - Painting 80s aluminum doors

I'll also attach a Bunnings video below that might be helpful, before passing on to the expertise of our community members to assist you.

Thanks again for joining in the discussion. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your experience @Luke1. Welcome to the Workshop community. We look forward to reading more about your projects and plans. Please post whenever you need assistance with a project or have something to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AHoy
Having an Impact

Do you actually use them as doors @doods? If not, I'd take them out. It sounds particularly strange to have a sliding door to the bathroom!?!

Krusty
Cultivating a Following

G,day Doods,If you decide to spruce these up replace the rollers so you can have them running like new and if you have minor scratches in the glass polishing with smooth toothpaste may take them out,Cheer's Krusty.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects