Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Repairing cork flooring

nick626
Finding My Feet

Repairing cork flooring

DC5E2542-5382-4AD0-9BC1-140F807D2C03.jpeg

Looking for advice on how to repair old damage to my cork flooring caused from previous tenants moving appliances through and taking chunks out of it that have collected a lot of dirt over the years. Is it possible to fix these spots without having to resurface the entire area and if so how do I do it and what products do I use?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Repairing cork flooring

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @nick626.

From what I know about cork flooring, it's a matter of replacing the damaged tiles and then re-coating the floor. You might like to try a couple of options before replacing the tiles, and those would be either filling the damage or glueing in repair patches.

It would be best if you started by sanding the damaged area where the grime has built up as it needs to be free from debris. You could use a combination of Timbermate wood fillers in different colours to mimic a cork effect, filling the holes. Waxstix can also be used to stipple the filler adding to the effect. Once you are happy with the result, sand the area flush with the surrounding tiles and apply a polyurethane floor coating.

Alternatively, you could cut out a square portion encompassing the damage and transfer that onto a new tile. You'll cut a new patch the same size and glue it in place with Selleys 50ml Kwik Grip Water-based Strong Contact Adhesive

The last option would be to replace the tiles and we have 305 x 305 x 6mm Natural Cork Tile - 6 Pack available in-store. You'll need to match the pattern of your existing tiles to make sure the repair is unnoticeable.

Let me mention @TedBear to see if they have any experience in this area or have some ideas.

Please let me know if you need further advice or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects