Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replacing Gutters

Ren1
Just Starting Out

Replacing Gutters

Hi All, I currently have box gutters, badly rusted  throughout, that I’m looking to replace. Question is ... do I go box gutters with timber barge board ( aesthetically more pleasing)  and eaves or new Colorbond aluminium gutters and facia ( lower maintenance) ? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing Gutters

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ren1. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

It will assist our members in providing great answers if you could tell us some more information about your situation. What sort of maintenance were you doing previously to the gutters? Were they constantly filling up with leaves and did you have gutter guard installed? What sort of lower maintenance were you expecting from the Colorbond gutters?

You might be interested in the step-by-step D.I.Y. articles How to replace a fascia and How to clean gutters. A few discussions worth reading are Ground level gutter cleaning safetyGutter guards and Guttering advice needed. We also have a fantastic range of guttering and accessories to use ensure maintenance is kept to a minimum.

Let me mention @Kermit, @Cado1, @KenW and @Ricardo to see if they might like to join the discussion on guttering choices and maintenance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: Replacing Gutters

Ren1

Just be aware if you go down the aluminium facia way you will probably have to fit the gutter to the facia before fitting it. I am in process of doing a roof and because normal clips attaching a gutter to an aluminium facia clip over the top of the facia I have been advised I need to do facia and gutter before roof. Using existing wood facia is easier. Just my opinion. JDE

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects