Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replacing mortar between bricks.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Replacing mortar between bricks.

How do I replace the mortar between brick where it has worn away on the exterior walls.

Highlighted
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing mortar between bricks.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jargan. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

If there are just a few areas of the mortar to refill then I would suggest a product similar to Mortafil 450g Mortar. This product is available in eight different colours and can be applied with a caulking gun. If you have a larger area to fill you might like to purchase a powdered product like Australian Builders 20kg Mortar Mix. You can use a Hyde 13mm Tuck Pointing Trowel to apply the mortar into the gaps.

Before using either of these products it would be beneficial to scrape out any mortar that is soft or powdery within the gaps.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thank you Mitchell, should I do any preparation to the areas or just wet them down?

Kind regards

Jargan

Highlighted
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jargan,

The only preparation would be to remove any mortar that is soft or powdery. You can use a heavy mist to dampen the wall and mortar joints down before applying the mortar.

Start by using a small sharp trowel and fill the cleaned-out joints with mortar. Begin with the verticals and finish with the horizontals. Pack the mortar in tightly, making sure there are no gaps or air holes. If the old mortar has a U-shape then use a mortar jointer to re-establish it on the new work. A soft-bristled brush can be used to remove the excess mortar from the wall.

It would be a good idea to lightly mist the wall down once a day for the next three days to prevent the mortar from drying out too quickly.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects