Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sagging aircon vents

GrumpyGrandpa
Just Starting Out

Sagging aircon vents

Some years ago we had our roof installation topped up and in the process, on a couple of the ceiling vents, the latches that hold the vents to the ceiling were broken causing the vents and ducting to protrude into our son's room.  The company sent their installer back out and he ended up resecuring the vents by strapping them to internal roof timbers.  The aircon is prob 30 years old and he said the original plastic latches are no longer manufactured. 

Now, a few years later, latches securing other aircon vent have failed. 

I was thinking of removing the screw that secures the broken latch, cutting it off and trying - say a gravity toggle or spring toggle.

I think might work ok on this vent.  There are a few other vents where only one of the latches has failed and gap between vent and ceiling is much smaller.

Any thoughts? 

16751258338937683382920366281654.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sagging aircon vents

Hello @GrumpyGrandpa

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your aircon vents.

Using spring toggles sounds like an excellent idea. My only recommendation for your plan is to use washers so that the weight is spread and not concentrated on the head of the screw. I don't think gravity toggles will work on a vertical application. Just keep in mind the series of events for installation so that you don't accidentally drill bigger holes than necessary.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your aircon vents repaired.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects