Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Serving tray gift idea for festive season

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Serving tray gift idea for festive season

I had some floating floor timber left over that I as given to me recently, I have already made a serving tray with left over floating floor boards, I thought it would be good to make one as gift for a family member, this is is made using a lighter timber (mess mate look) and tas oak for the sides. 

This would be an easy project if you want make the tray as a gift for the Festive Season

This is the one I made previously.

JoeAzza_0-1702282609935.jpeg

Materials

Floating floor boards

Tasmanian oak for the sides 

Stainless countersunk screws

Waterproof glue

Tools

Steps

Step 1

My tray has box joints , however, you could glue and screw the corners instead.

JoeAzza_1-1702282830670.jpeg

Step 2

The handle slots can be cut out using a jig saw and then filed and sanded.

JoeAzza_2-1702282861574.jpeg

Step 3

I stained the inside of the rails with Japan black , then used clear water based varnish to finished the sides.

JoeAzza_3-1702282883966.jpeg

Step 4

i glued and cut to size the the floor boards then used stainless countersunk screws to assemble the side did the tray to the base.

JoeAzza_4-1702282923215.jpegJoeAzza_5-1702282940813.jpeg

JoeAzza_6-1702282973055.jpegJoeAzza_7-1702282995514.jpegJoeAzza_8-1702283039754.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Serving tray gift idea for Festive Season

Your serving tray is truly impressive, @JoeAzza! The mix of the darker stain and lighter Tasmanian oak, coupled with the attention to detail like box joints and handle slots, makes it a beautifully crafted and thoughtful gift idea for the festive season. I trust the lucky person who receives it will be very thankful.

Fantastic work, and many thanks for sharing!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Re: Serving tray gift idea for festive season

Hi @JoeAzza 

They are such beautiful trays!  Congratulations on a job that the Fine Woodworkers would be proud of!  And such a  lovely recycle job for the leftover floorboards too!  👏👏

Cheers 🤗

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Tyro 

Thank you, I made this tray in between repairing and painting my weatherboard house, I had to do something while the paint was drying, it’s also relaxing doing a bit of woodwork, 😀 

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Good on you @JoeAzza !

But outside in the crazy  weather our big brown land is experiencing?!  Hmmm!  No wonder you wanted to do some woodworking!  😂

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects