Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I paint my old brick veneer house?

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Should I paint my old brick veneer house?

Hey All.

What are your thoughts on painting an old brick veneer house (late 70/s early 80's I think)? 
I'm thinking of painting it with a light greyish colour. Seen that a few times and it looks good and modern.
I just don't like the old brown brick.

I've been googling how to paint and have come across a few articles saying don't do it (bricks won't breath, needs to be repainted every 3 years, etc). But it feels like lots of people do paint without issues, and likely those articles are just on websites that want money to do things their way.

Thoughts? (I'm in Melbourne if that makes any difference to the answer)

I was thinking of just using a self-priming exterior water based paint, something like this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/british-paints-1l-4-seasons-low-sheen-white-exterior-paint_p0207079

I've got a basic hand spray gun with a 0.5L container. I tested it out today on my old low brick fence that's going with the above paint (watered down 10% to get the right viscosity per instructions on tin) and it seemed to work just fine. Result looks good, sans the colour not being the one I want.

Love something like this for example: 

Thanks

Regards

Itai

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Re: Should I paint my old brick veneer house?

Hey @Sylas 

I didn't end up painting the whole house, mainly due to time and laziness! I did paint one wall which was in our landscaped "secret" garden.

Itai_0-1714078172529.png

I painted this 2 years ago, and it's still holding up perfectly. The only prep I did was a hard bristle cleaning broom against the wall (the ones you use to clean the deck) and blast it with a pressure washer. The paint hasn't peeled at all or anything. It looks great!

One day I will do the rest of the house. But I'd need to prep properly in terms of covering everything not to get painted. I used an airless paint sprayer that I bought for my fence and it made quick work of the job. But I did get a lot of side spray onto my eaves. So most of the work will be in covering up anything you don't want to get painted.

I used Dulux Exterior paint in Monument colour. I can't remember if I used low sheen or semi-gloss. I think it was low sheen.

Regards

Itai

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects