Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sideboard furniture flip

EleventhCoastal
Making a Splash

Sideboard furniture flip

Someone else’s Trash became our Treasure with a little bit of love

Materials

Ryobi Sander

120 grit sand paper

Paint Brushes

Primer Paint

Dulux Wash n Wear Paint

Feast Watson Clear Varnish

Tools

Ryobi Sander

Steps

Step 1

I removed all of the old hardware and then I carefully removed the broken glass from the front door, I then removed the intact piece of glass for the other door

Step 2

I then sanded everything back to raw timber, I used my Ryobi sander and in some parts I hand sanded 

Step 3

I wiped over all of the surfaces to remove and sawdust left from sanding

Step 4

In the inside of the cabinet and draws i scuff sanded these prior to painting them with Porters Paints Primer and Paint

Step 5

Once the Primer had dried I then painted all of the sections in Dulux Lime Sherbert

Step 6

Once this was dry I then went over the outside of the unit and the draws in Feast Watson - Clear Varnish in a Satin Finish

Step 7

As the old hardware was quite date I removed all the decorative pieces from the raised handle and sprayed it gold along with one of the button screws

Step 8

I added some door handles that I picked up from Kmart and reassembled the hardware on each of the doors and draws to complete the restoration of this piece.

Kirsty P
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Side Board Furniture Flip

Hello @EleventhCoastal 

Thank you so much for sharing your upcycled treasure! I love the bright colour you've put on the inside of the cabinet. Those drawer handles look really cool. Are they the original ones that came with the cabinet? What cover will you be putting in place of the broken glass or do you plan to just leave them open?

Again, thank you for sharing such a fantastic project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Side Board Furniture Flip

Hi Eric,

Thanks so much for your awesome feedback, so I’ve taken the silver part and the gold flat head screw and transformed them with a spray of Gold paint and reinstalled up the opposite way

Before:

0F251F85-9628-4279-9023-5F07C6A5C0CF.jpeg

After:

DD696BEE-C16C-4D49-8E1A-E82C6398CC95.jpeg

This is what the original piece looked like prior to my restoration.

41AC6812-4A5D-4529-ABF7-2852FE647030.jpeg

I think I want to put ribbed glass in the doors to keep them light and bright but for now they will remain open.

Thanks again for your kind words

Cheers

Kirst

Kirsty P

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects