Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Skylight panels replacement...

heykrazi
Getting Established

Skylight panels replacement...

In a couple spots in our house – above the dining table, and in a hallway – we have some skylight panels (see pictured).

The glass (?) panels here are old, yellowed, a bit dirty and, in one place, cracked.

I want to replace these panels, and thought it was as easy as buying a new panel – glass? acrylic? frosted?

But I wasn't sure if what I was finding on Bunnings (eg. https://www.bunnings.com.au/ezylite-550mm-skylight-diffuser-panel_p0034935) is what I needed.

And then I discovered skylight alternatives... which, I understand, involve solar light collectors placed somewhere on the roof and then an LED panel installed in the house that mimics natural light? Can anyone explain why I might invest in these skylight alternatives instead of just keeping what I have?

Assuming I do just keep what I have, what product (x2) at Bunnings do I need to buy? (I should be fine to just replace old with new myself)

Thanks!

IMG_4963.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Skylight panels replacement...

Thanks for reaching out to the community with your question @heykrazi. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to offer suggestions.

It's fantastic to see that you're getting stuck into projects around your new property. We look forward to hearing all about whatever else you've got planned.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Skylight panels replacement...

Hi @heykrazi,

What were the dimensions of your current diffusers? The Ezylite 550mm² Skylight Diffuser Panel measures 530 x 530mm and is 15mm thick. If that matched your panels, then they could be a direct swap. Alternatively, you might need to track down the manufacturer to see if there are replacement parts available. Once you've located the correct size diffuser, it should be a relatively simple install as a frame that will pull out would retain the diffuser.

Our skylight alternatives are popular in areas where the installation of a traditional skylight is not possible. Their effectiveness really comes into play in multi-storey homes or where you cannot penetrate or modify the roof's structure to accommodate a solar tube. If you were to fit one of these in the location of the current skylight, there would need to be extensive remediation work completed to remove the existing skylight and repair the ceiling and roof. I would suggest that the best option is to replace the existing diffusers.

I look forward to hearing more details on the dimensions of your current diffusers. Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects