Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Slow setting epoxy adhesive not setting

epos
Finding My Feet

Slow setting epoxy adhesive not setting

I have used a couple of “utility 25ml slow setting epoxy adhesive”, but a week later, it’s still tacky. I’m assuming that the two parts didn’t mix properly, but how can I fix this? 

Thank you!

[i am using the epoxy adhesive to fix a crack in a wooden table]

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Slow setting epoxy adhesive not setting

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @epos. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about epoxy.

Did you thoroughly mix the two parts after squeezing them out of the syringe? This product doesn't have a self-mixing nozzle, so you must stir the two parts together for a good minute with a paddle pop stick (or the like) to ensure they are thoroughly mixed. You can then pour the combined mixture into your crack, though you'll find it fairly thick and it won't flow particularly well.

If it's been a week and the epoxy is still tacky, then there is a good chance it wasn't mixed enough. Are you planning on sanding the timber top? If so, it would be worth seeing if it is just the very top layer of the epoxy that hasn't cured. With other epoxies in the past, I have experienced an issue where the top layer remained tacky, yet the bottom was entirely cured. By sanding the top layer off, it revealed the cured underlayer.

If all the epoxy is still tacky, I'd advise you to dig it out and use a product similar to Loctite 14ml Self Mixing Epoxy With Spare Nozzles.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you for these options, I’ll check to see if the lower layer is set, and sand off/ dig out the tacky stuff. Thank you!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated, @epos, and please reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects