Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Specific kind of base strip for flooring transition installation

OneMansFool
Building a Reputation

Specific kind of base strip for flooring transition installation

Hi folks, I see that the subject of flooring transition strips comes up semi-regularly here. I have just read through a lot of them.

A preferred solution in a lot of cases seems to be a single-piece transition strip held in place by Magic Plugs — but for various reasons I am hoping for something I can stick down with adhesive instead of needing to drill into my concrete.

I want to transition from loose lay vinyl planks (thickness TBD, probably 3 or 4 mm) down to the bare concrete in my garage. I think I’m after a two-part strip, where a small ramp clicks into a base strip which I can adhere straight to the concrete.

I will not lock in an exact trim until I know the thickness of my vinyl tiles. But I want to ask ahead of time:

(a) have I generally understood the situation correctly? Again, I am hoping to avoid drilling into the concrete floor.

(b) Does Bunnings stock this kind of base strip (circled in the photo below)? Of the 246 different kinds of flooring trim on the Bunnings website, I can’t work out if any of them are the requisite base strip.

(c) Would this approach allow me to use an aluminium trim, or would I be limited to PVC trim options only?

DEB5C87E-567A-4D85-8EFC-ECD293705B60.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Specific kind of base strip for flooring transition installation

Hello @OneMansFool

Thank you for sharing your question about flooring transition strips. To answer your question, yes, you've understood the situation correctly. A transition strip will be necessary to go over your vinyl planks to your concrete floor. Unfortunately, I don't have the exact type of locking trim you're referring to, however, a similar product is called the Trim Multi Pin Less Base 1.65m Silver 41-7108-mb. It's used to hold the Vinyl Edge Cap. With this system, there is no need to screw or nail the trim base, you just need to glue it down.

The best part of the Vinyl Edge Cap is that it can adjust to different heights and levels. I believe it all comes down to your preference on which transition strip to use. As far as I'm aware there are no fixed rules regarding which one to use.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
OneMansFool
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric,

That base strip looks to be exactly what I am after, that is very helpful thanks.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @OneMansFool 

That base strip looks more like somehing you would get from an Electrical wholesaler as it appears to provide a mechanical protection for a cable to run through? I just did a search for "cable floor protection guard" and a whole bunch came up. I have used some the dome type ones at work in various instance and they dont shift when kicked.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects