Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Stair transformation with Merbau screen

rhys_fitzgerald
Growing in Experience

Stair transformation with Merbau screen

A81DBC54-2307-434C-AB07-ADB61C06ECBF.jpeg

  

8D6CAC03-6F8D-4EDB-A3A4-245B2602FC8A.jpeg

E7E5DBD4-5993-463C-B64E-4DF09B5404AA.jpeg

AC716568-CF06-42A9-93EB-89D836AB21B4.jpeg

5EE6958D-F05E-45BB-B9BB-432E0B938E6E.jpeg

3F0AAAB6-4923-4CF6-9FD4-B2A30E3181CF.jpeg

05532917-6992-41B4-BB43-48B6D5C98CF4.jpeg

Not long after moving in, we wanted to turn our old metal hand rail and under stair area into a centre piece of our living room. We created the screen from merbau timber from Bunnings. And installed a wine rack behind the screen, along with cupboard doors. We love what this space has become and the broken light it creates 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to transform your stairs

Hello @rhys_fitzgerald

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your stair rail transformation project.

What an excellent transformation of the space, from a cluttered corner to a well-organized wine rack. It looks like there was a design change at some point, will you be putting in a door in the same manner to keep the look? It looks so much better, not only does it get rid of that small wine rack, but it opens up the back of the stairs as a large dedicated wine rack and cabinet space. 

Would you like to enter your project in Australia's best D.I.Y. project 2022? I'd be happy to add your entry for you.

Again, thank you for sharing your stair rail transformation project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Yes I’d love to enter. 

thanks Eric 

Hi @rhys_fitzgerald

I'd also like to extend a warm welcome to the community.  Hope you're finding it a great place for inspiring D.I.Y. ideas and tips.

Your project has been submitted in the competition. Good luck! 

Akanksha

cavprojects
Just Starting Out

Re: Stair transformation with Merbau screen

@rhys_fitzgerald 

I’m looking to do something that looks exactly like your 7th photo (where the wood goes all the way to the floor the whole way across). 

Would love to know how to build this. It’s a little hard to see the details of the construction method in the photo.

If you’re able to share some info on how the frame was constructed and the battens were attached that would be awesome! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Stair transformation with Merbau screen

Hello @cavprojects 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the merbau screening.

Let me tag @rhys_fitzgerald to make sure they are aware of your question. I suspect that the seventh photo is a test installation of the merbau timber. I believe that the first photo is the final form of the screening.

However, it is possible to build it the way you've described it. The sixth photo shows that the beginning of the structure is the box frame. Once that's in, you can then calculate the spacing needed to install the merbau timber strips. 

To build a door for the screening the timber supports must be installed on the back of the door so that there will be no visible signs that it is a door. I've placed a sample sketch below to give you an idea on how to construct it.   

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects