Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Temporary fix for a 50mm gap between Flooring and Tiles

jamescbm
Finding My Feet

Temporary fix for a 50mm gap between Flooring and Tiles

I'm looking for a temporary fix to make the below 50x700mm gap (see image) between tiles and vinyl floor safe. At some point in the near future I will be fully replacing the vinyl flooring, however I need to make it safe until that happens. 
I was looking at using a ramp floating floor trim but the largest width I can find is 40mm. 

So any ideas or advice for a safe and temporary fix would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_8593.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Temporary fix for a 50mm gap between Flooring and Tiles

Hello @jamescbm

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about fixing the gap between your floor tiles.

Have you recently had your bathroom flooring retiled? It looks very beautiful or did your vinyl flooring get damaged? If you're looking for a temporary patch, I suggest using timber moulding, to be specific, I recommend Porta 42 x 11mm 2.7m Moulding White Pine FJ Primed Bullnose or similar. I suggest removing the blue underlay so that you can directly glue it to the floor.

Before going to the store, I suggest measuring the height of the tile edge and the size of the gap so that you'll have an idea of how thick the timber needs to be. There are many types of timber moulding. But if you have the necessary tools you can make your own small timber transition piece from scratch. If you have any leftover varnish or sealer in the garage, I recommend sealing it so that it will last a while. When the time comes you can simply pry it off with a flat edge crowbar.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your transition piece in place.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Temporary fix for a 50mm gap between Flooring and Tiles

Thanks Eric, I'll give that a go!

Laundry was just renovated and the floorboards will be getting pulled up hopefully later this year!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects