Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tile paint

DonnaL
Cultivating a Following

Tile paint

Hi Folks,

We are investigating the pros and cons of having our tiles in the bathroom ... general wall and inside shower wall, kitchen splashback and laundry wall painted with Dulux's renovator range.

I would love to hear from people who have had it done a year or more ago to see how well it lasted/is lasting, suggestions, problems and general advice.

Thank  you,  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tile Paint

Hi @DonnaL,

The Dulux Renovator Range was released around November last year, so I don't think you'll have much feedback from members who have had it applied for over a year. I can, however, advise that feedback on the products longevity has been fantastic if it is applied as per the manufacturer's specifications.

As a general rule, you'll need to-

If you follow the directions above you'll end up with a paint that is strongly adhered to the underlying tile and sufficiently protected from scratching and abrasion. 

Let me mention @Trish2 who painted their tiles with the Dulux Renovation range some time ago to see if they could comment on how it has held up. I know Trish2 certainly went the extra mile by thoroughly sanding the gloss off their tiles.

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DonnaL
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mitchell.

Didn't realise it was a newer invention. I have saved the instructions to give to our renovator.

Thank you.

jaga
Having an Impact

Hi @DonnaL 

A few years ago I did the same thing, and used White Knight brand. It came up nicely.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/white-knight-1l-gloss-white-renew-tile-and-laminate-paint_p0197784

There is a White Knight primer as well, which you need to use.. Importantly, ensure that the surface is very thoroughly cleaned before paint application, as @MitchellMc has described. 

At that same time, I painted the inside surface of the bath too (it was a shower-bath).. That didn't go as well, because we were standing on the painted surface to have a shower and it eventually peeled off (after a few months).. So eventually, I scraped back the paint off the bath, but left all the wall tiles painted.

Hope this helps.

jaga

DonnaL
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Jaga, it gives me more to think about. 

Hi, 

I will 2nd comnents by Mitchell here as I did it 2mths and 2 weeks ago myself on kitchen tiles. Prep is the key here spend a heap of time thoroughly cleaning, cleaning, cleaning and then sand too. But NOTE with sanding you're only sanding to help paint adhere to existing tiles, so no need to be as aggressive with sanding ...cleaning is a  different matter and is vital/ the key here.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects