Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tile to carpet transition with Duratrans transition strips and ceramic tiles or "magic plug"

Walter

Tile to carpet transition with Duratrans transition strips and ceramic tiles or "magic plug"

Help.

I've decided to put some ceramic tiles to replace some worn old carpet an a high traffic area.

The tiles are Dura Ceramic tiles, 60x30cm, suitable for what I need.

PXL_20211007_204733782.jpg

PXL_20211007_204738916.jpg

So it's going on a hardwood floor. I've cut the "offending" carpet to prepare the area.

So we went to our local Bunnings to get the trim.  This was an adventure. There are various trims, but the advice was this:

PXL_20211007_204802181.jpg

So, understand this is the "underneath" part.

Or are we getting it wrong, and this is not the way to go?

We were going to try  Floating floor jr Trim.

We thought that went with the Duratrans (above); yes, we realise the floating floor trim needs "magic plugs" (awful name BTW, and hard to find)

So basically, whats the best way to approach carpet to ceramic tile transition?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tile to carpet transition with Duratrans transition strips and ceramic tiles or "magic plug"

Hi @Walter,

What's the height difference between the two surfaces going to be?

I understand that the Floating floor jr Trim is a standalone product that has no underneath part and is fixed with Roberts Ramp And Cover Trim Plugs.

I'm not actually sure what the purpose of the trim in the image is. That looks like it has ramps on either side. You certainly don't want to make the area you're joining any higher than it already is. Was there any explanation that went along with that product as to its purpose? If I could find it on our webpage, that might lead me to an answer. Was there a seven-digit Fineline number on your receipt for it?

The best approach to transitions is to choose a trim that suits the height difference. Some suit surfaces that are at different heights and some for flat transitions. The Floating floor jr Trim is suitable for flat transitions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Tile to carpet transition with Duratrans transition strips and ceramic tiles or "magic plug

@MitchellMc 

Thanks for that.

The amazing thing is, the tiles are pretty much exactly the thickness of the carpet.

That trim we thought was the bottom layer of the "roberts" trim with the magic plugs, as it looked like it, and the staff thought they were 2 parts of the product, as in put the duratile down between the carpet and the tile, and then cap it off with the matching top trim.

I cant see anything that looks like a Fineline number on it, so I'll PM you a copy of the reciept.

I haven't added a  photo of the Floating floor trim, but we do have it.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tile to carpet transition with Duratrans transition strips and ceramic tiles or "magic plug

@Walter,

After an hour of trying to figure out how this dual ramp trim works, I now realise you have two lengths placed together. That is two lengths of a single ramp, isn't it? I couldn't for the life of me work out why there would be a ramp on either side.

As per my previous post, these two products are both standalone and don't go together. The Duratrans is used as per my below image. It's for when the tiles are above the level of the other surface. For your situation, if the two surfaces are flush, you'd likely be better off with the Floating floor jr Trim and its Roberts Ramp And Cover Trim Plugs.

Mitchell

trim.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey @MitchellMc ,

Thanks for that, and yes, sorry for the confusion, it never occurred to me to separate the 2 ramps.

We  hope we will be finishing this week, and we are so happy that it's less complicated than we thought.  Got to get it right.

When we finish, I'll upload the finished installation

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects