Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled accent chair

Renowayoflife
Becoming a Leader

Upcycled accent chair

I love distressed furniture, and in most of my upcycles, it’s the type of finish I aim for as it makes a piece look well-loved and lived in.

Distressed furniture looks great in many different settings, whether you love a coastal vibe, country, french provincial or modern, a distressed piece can add a tonne of personality to your room.

Being someone who loves to add a little charm to a new exterior, distressing your furniture is a great way to achieve this look so I thought I’d share my tips to achieve this look using a recent chair I upcycled using Dulux Duramax® chalk Paint. And as it’s spray paint, there’s no brushes to clean up so it’s a win-win in my book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es5He-EPHZk

The final step is to add the cane, I don’t think I have a future in weaving but I’m so glad that I had a go. Once I started using vaseline it made life so much easier.

The weaving process took a really long time, although it’s really repetitive and I don’t think it’s overly difficult but what is difficult is getting it even and once the weave is a little tight it get a little challenging.

Happy DIYing 

Claire 

TT

IG 

Blog

Materials

• Sanding Block
  • Dulux Wood Primer
  • Dulux Duramax Chalky Finish Riviera Grey
  • Dulux Duramax Chalky Finish Parisian White
  • Wood Filler
  • Cane
  • Vaseline

9.png

Tools

Steps

Step 1

Step One - Prep and fill 

Preparation is so important when it comes to painting. My chair was a little unusual in that it was in pretty bad shape so I had quite a bit of work to do before i started painting.

The first thing we needed to do was glue and nail the chair back together. Thankfully when the chair fell apart we kept all of the smaller pieces so it was literally like a puzzle.

We glued the pieces into place then used a 18ga nailer to secure each corner and strengthen them.

Once I had made the repairs to the seat and arms, I applied wood filler to some of the most damaged sections. I’m not usually too particular with this as I don’t mind a little age shining through, it’s all personal taste. 

3.png4.png

Step 2

Step Two - Sand & Clean 

Once you’ve filled, sand your piece. Depending on the current finish, you may want to use an electronic sander. My chair had very little varnish on it, so I just used a sanding block.  If it’s heavily varnished, you will want to remove the varnish using a paint stripper or, my fav hack, oven cleaner.  Before you paint, make sure to clean the surface to remove any dirt and impurities.

5.png

Step 3

Step Three - Paint & Prime

Prime – I used Dulux Duramax® undercoat spray to prime my chair and applied one coat using light strokes.

Paint

First Colour – I applied 2 coats of Dulux Duramax® Riviera Grey Chalk Finish Spray Paint and left for 2 hours to dry between coats. 

Second Colour – I applied 2 coats of Dulux Duramax® Parisian White Chalk Finish Spray Paint and left for 2 hours to dry between coats.

10.png

Step 4

Step Four - Distress 

Once the paint was completely dry, I ran a sanding block along the edges of the chair and along the front and back. By applying more pressure you will expose the wood, and less pressure, you will expose the first shade of paint. There’s no right or wrong here, depending on the look you want to you may choose to subtly distress your piece or you could be far more aggressive.

IMG_03E41C3D5EB7-1.jpegIMG_38F8E4D262D9-1.jpeg

Step 5

Step Five - Prep the Cane

This is the step that was completely new to me. I have never done any type of weaving so this step was a little stressful as I really had no idea what I was doing. But like with every project, I do my youtube research and then just figure it out as I go.

The first step was to soak the cane. This step is really important otherwise the can will snap whilst you weave. You need to soak it in warm water for 2-3 minutes before you start weaving.

12.png

Step 6

Step Six - Start Weaving

I started from back to front and wrapped the weave then side to side.

TIP:

I found the cane frayed when I was weaving so I rubbed Vaseline on the threads of the cane before I started weaving and it worked a treat. It made the weave much easier to thread and didn’t fray.

14.png

13.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Upcycled accent chair

Hi @Renowayoflife 

What a beautifully restored piece! Where do yo find these treasures? This long back cane chair is just so classic, the arm supports, and carved legs make it really stand out. The re-weaving of the cane seat and back support is truly a fantastic effort. Thank you for sharing the steps of your awesome upcycling project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Upcycled accent chair

Thank you @EricL I'm always scouring for a deal hahaha would you believe this chair cost me $5!

It's such a gorgeous chair, so glad I could give it a new lease on life

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects