Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled bookshelf

Natalya
Building a Reputation

Upcycled bookshelf

I needed somewhere organised to store my cookbooks that was in easy reach while I was cooking in the kitchen. I bought this sturdy piece secondhand and gave it a good paint job to transform it to fit my house. 

Steps

Step 1

 Use the orbital sander to sand off all the dark exterior using a corse sandpaper. Finish off using a fine sandpaper.

IMG_3826.png

Step 2

Wipe the surface clean with a dry cloth. 

Step 3

Use the chalk paint paintbrush to roughly paint the bookcase, excluding the top. Allow to dry (follow instructions on tin) then apply a second coat. 

Step 4

Use a soft rag to wipe on the soft wax on the bench top.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Upcycled bookshelf

Hi @Natalya,

We are thrilled to have you as part of the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome you have joined and thank you for sharing your incredible upcycle project. Giving that second-hand cabinet a new life is fantastic. If someone feels inspired by your project and wants to try their own, do you have any advice for them?

Projects like yours sometimes get featured in our Top Ideas articles, such as the Top upcycled buffets article. Maybe yours will be there one day! We hope Bunnings Workshop continues to be a great source of advice and inspiration for you.

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects