Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycling furniture for women's shelter

jemma11
Having an Impact

Upcycling furniture for women's shelter

IMG_8093.jpeg

IMG_8095.jpeg

IMG_8092.jpeg

IMG_8160.jpeg

IMG_8165.jpeg

IMG_8159.jpeg

IMG_8168.jpeg

A project where I upcycled furniture, art and homewares for a local women’s shelter.  After ascertaining what they needed, I put a call out within my local community for items.  Donated items were then upcycled using Trauma Informed Design principles (soft, gentle colours, organic shapes, and touches of nature.)  All up 101 items were collected for the shelter, the majority being upcycled (including the art canvases, plant pots etc). 

Materials

sandpaper

liquid sugar soap

microfibre cloths 

paint brushes

Chalk Paint

Soft Wax

Matte Varnish 

Tools

Steps

Step 1

1. Found out what items the shelter needed 

Step 2

2. sourced the items as donations from my community via local Facebook groups

Step 3

3. Decided on a colour scheme 

Step 4

4. prepped the furniture by sanding and cleaning with liquid sugar soap.

Step 5

5. prepped the canvasses by sanding and priming with chalk paint

Step 6

6. Prepped the pots by cleaning with liquid sugar soap. 

Step 7

7. painted the items in chalk paint

Step 8

8. sealed the furniture and pots with matte varnish

Step 9

9. sealed the canvases with clear wax

Step 10

10. delivered to the shelter to provide colour and the dignity of beautiful items to the women. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: House to Home - upcycling items for womens shelter

This project is truly admirable @jemma11, as it goes beyond just upcycling furniture. Your commitment to supporting a local women's shelter is a noble cause, and it's heartwarming to see how wonderful you are for making a positive impact in their lives. The care you've taken to create a warm and comforting environment for women in need is truly inspiring. The number of items showcases not only your creativity but dedication to making a difference.

Your project is a shining example of how one person's initiative and compassion can make a significant difference in the lives of others. 

Well done!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: House to Home - upcycling items for womens shelter

Thank you so much, Mitchell. It’s been a challenging but very satisfying project on many levels.  Saving items from landfill, community engagement and of course the benefits to the shelter itself.  It’s taken a month and will be completed in time for Keep Australia Beautiful Week in early August. 

aw1
Finding My Feet

Re: Upcycling furniture for women's shelter

What a wonderful idea, combining creativity and compassion. You have inspired me to do something similar @jemma11 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @aw1. It's terrific to have you join us, and wonderful to hear this project has inspired you.

We'd be thrilled to assist you with your project, so if you need any advice or guidance, please feel free to start your own discussion and ask away.

We'll look forward to seeing what you achieve and hearing more about all your projects and plans around the house and garden.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Congratulations @jemma11 :smile:

Love your work and how you bring back to life pieces of furniture, They are all different but you have a consistant style that matches. 

Well earned :smile:

Dave

Thank you so much, Dave, I’m thrilled! Such a rewarding project on so many levels 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects