Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Waterproof topcoat over acrylic paint on MDF?

JulieNZ
Finding My Feet

Waterproof topcoat over acrylic paint on MDF?

Hello,

I am planning on using a 2400mm x 600mm x 18mm sheet of MDF to make a beer pong playing surface decorated with acrylic paint. The approach I am assuming is best is to do a couple of layers of primer, then acrylic paint, then a clear topcoat to make it relatively waterproof? If so, which products should I choose for the primer and the topcoat for it to be as durable as possible?

Cheers,

Julie

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Waterproof topcoat over acrylic paint on MDF?

Hello @JulieNZ

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us and thank you for sharing your question about painting MDF.

I suggest using Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 1L to prime the MDF sheet. It's formulated for interior and exterior use. One litre of this primer should give you a conservative coverage of between 12 and 14 square meters depending on how thick you put the primer on. 

Since you are using a water-based primer, I recommend using Dulux 1L Aquanamel Semi-Gloss White Enamel Paint. It's hard-wearing paint as it is used for doors, windows and trims. Aquanamel is available in high gloss and because it is already a very tough paint there's no need to put a clear coat on top of it.

Using MDF as a table is possible on the condition that it has a good timber frame below it. By itself, MDF tends to bend and sag as it has very low rigidity. I propose instead using Interbuild 2200 x 600 x 26mm Acacia Solid Oiled Hardwood Benchtop Panel or its equivalent. This timber panel can be sanded down to remove the surface oil cover if you wish to paint it.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your beer pong table.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much for your advice! Unfortunately a benchtop panel is out of my budget, but I will let you know however it turns out... Dulux Aquanamel looks like a great product too that I will now use.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @JulieNZ, and please reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects