Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

We have recently bought a house and we are going to renovate it.

reno2021
Finding My Feet

We have recently bought a house and we are going to renovate it.

Hi,

We have recently bought a house and we are going to renovate it. I have attached pictures of the exsting house. We want to add a room at the front & combine the living , dining & kitchen areas. Kitchen will have full renovation with benchtop, woodwork etc. The whole house will be painted , I am planning on doing a Hampton style. I was hoping to get some ideas around cost & reno plans.main.jpgfloor plan.JPGbathroom.jpgliving.jpgkitchen.jpgCapture.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: We have recently bought a house and we are going to renovate it.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @reno2021. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for sharing your project.

I'm not sure if many could give you an estimate of the cost for such a project. You have some fairly major plans for the house, including the additional room at the front. This might include work to the weight-bearing structures of the house. I would encourage you to set about collecting several quotes from builders on the works to give a good ballpark figure. Do you plan on doing much of the internal work yourself? This will also significantly alter the overall cost.

Let me mention @2Belindas to see if she could give us an approximate estimate on what it would cost to change the current facade into something with more Hampton style. You might be interested in also checking out one of Belinda's projects: Coastal cottage renovation

If you would like to break down the house into various areas, I trust our helpful members will have some great feedback about your ideas and suggestions for your renovation.

We look forward to hearing more about your plans and following along with your project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @reno2021 
Congratulations on your project.  It looks great.  Lots of potential.
Firstly, to know how much you should be spending and not overcapitalise, you should be aiming to bring your property up to a high standard, so check what other properties of that higher standard are selling for in the area.  Aim to renovate yours a similar standard, spend inside that margin.  The less you spend, the more profit you make....even if it is for your own home.

Then room by room, break down all of the things you are planning to do.
Do a feasibility study and an order of what you want to do first.  If you haven't done this before, get a builder/tradie friend to help you estimate costs, or ask here in Workshop, or go to an online renovation estimating calculator (you'll find one on RealEstate.com.au).  You will find a generic feasibility study template online somewhere too.

List your must haves.
Calculate your costs room by room, outside and inside.  Then layer back if you can't afford everything you have listed.  There are always ways to uplift the look of something without the big spend.  Don't get too excited and rip everything out, before you have accurately costed what it will take to replace it - reuse and repurpose what you can.
Make sure you have the finance before engaging any tradies.

The house you have selected will very easily convert to a more Hamptons look - so great job, good choice!  Pick a few inspo photos from Instagram or Pinterest and follow the pics, just like the pic you posted above. 
Any chance of moving the back door down in line with the laundry door exit, which will provide some more internal space so you can push the kitchen back into the 'meals' area, convert part of the loungeroom into another bedroom, open up the wall more to use the existing dining area as a living.
That plan will involve calling an engineer, but will take your home from 2 bedroom price bracket to a 3 bedroom price. 
Just my thoughts at a glance. 
Enjoy the process.

PS You should get the exterior of that house painted for around $5k and the interior for around $4k (depending on location).  In saying that, if you are in no rush, painting yourself will save you lots of money.
Good luck x

Creating a beautiful home on a budget
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for sharing your expert advice @2Belindas.

I trust @reno2021 appreciates such fantastic advice from someone that has so many renovations under their belt.

Thank you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @2Belindas, your suggestions have made is think of what we can do to utilise the existing house. Initially we were thinking of knock down rebuild but we ended up paying more for the house at auction which chewed up the construction budget. We are also thinking whether it will be good to convert the kitchen into a bedroom with attached toilet & shower & include the passage to laundry in it. The laundry area will be converted into kitchen & combined with the dining area at the back and living & dining areas will be combined too. The cost of constructing a bedroom is blowing our budget so doing internal changes is the only way to keep it feasible.

Thanks

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects