Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Weird shaped balcony door replacement

toughgamer
Cultivating a Following

Weird shaped balcony door replacement

We've got a really weird door for second floor balcony - the previous owner build a plantation shutter on top of the door itself! So the whole thing is now an awkward situation - the lock is now dying cos of erosion caused by the rain for the past weeks, and the lock itself is so old there's no replacement to be found (other than a super expensive special order).

I'm hoping to get some ideas - should I get rid of this door altogether and replace it with a proper screen/security door + normal door combo? Is this something we can do ourselves? I'm kinda handy - I built the alfresco, a few planter boxes, a few workbenches and laundry benchtops, but I never actually worked with doors.

Or should I consult a professional? And how much that would cost usually? Do they pain the door as well?

Sorry for so many questions but I really are running out of ideas :unhappy:

Much appreciated ahead.0FF01488-600F-4315-96AD-3CE7E852B652.jpeg04A4221C-6CEE-4316-9392-F312F762D680.jpegE2F0CC9C-6F79-4EE2-BE15-669D707F13F8.jpegADD357FE-3D69-4941-B4E8-A945033F6FAF.jpeg91A1BA57-355B-48F0-886A-7E7773E1BC9D.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Weird shaped balcony door replacement

Hi @toughgamer

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your balcony door.

Your current door is unique because you can control the amount of light that comes in using the shutters without sacrificing your privacy. However, if the door is a security risk then you'll have to replace it. 

I suggest measuring the size of the door frame and sourcing the materials you need before you disassemble the balcony door. I recommend visiting your local store and choosing an exterior and security door that you like. 

If you need a custom sized door, I suggest going to the special orders desk and asking them for a quote for the door size that you need. If you decide to proceed with the quote, the next step will be to pay for the door and they'll order it for you.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please don't hesitate to post them.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
toughgamer
Cultivating a Following

Re: Weird shaped balcony door replacement

Thanks Eric, I'll talk to the shop and see if they can do it.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects