Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What do I use to stain new window trims?

Woody1
Just Starting Out

What do I use to stain new window trims?

I have new windows and want to match to current wooden trims in the house. 

The wood used is pine and want to match the picture attached. I tried Cabot's oil based stain and varnish (jarrah satin) but it looked too dark. 

Do I use stain and varnish or stain - oil or water-based? Too many options and can't seem to find what I should use!IMG_0855.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What do I use to stain new window trims?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Woody1. It's amazing that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question on staining timber.

Have you been able to attend a store to check out the stain display, which shows the colours on sample Pine timber? Here's Cabot's colour visualiser for their range of stains if you cannot head into a store. As well as the available colours on the shelf, Cabot's stain and varnish can be mixed into many colours. This might give you more options on colour selection.

Choosing between oil and water-based stains is really more about the clean-up and how they apply than the colour. Once again, the difference between choosing the varnish option or not has little to do with the colouring. Since you appear to be matching something already varnished, I'd stick with the stain and varnish option. 

When you used the Jarrah stain, was it just the one coat that looked too dark?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell for your reply.

I did go into the store and looked at the stain display and thought that Jarrah was the best match.

I have had a look at Cabot's colour visualiser but might need to have another look - then go into the store to check out the stain display again. 

I have attached a picture of the Jarrah (one coat on the right and two coats on the left) up against the colour I am trying to achieve. The Jarrah looks too chocolate rather than the more honey look that I want. IMG_0979 (1).jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Woody1,

Personally, I would have thought Jarrah would have had more red tones in it, but that is very chocolate. 

One of the issues with trying to choose colours through images is what is experienced in this discussion. Your first image appears as if it has substantial red tones in the stain; from your second image, I can now see a lot less.

I've taken a portion of your second image and overlaid it onto the Cabot's samples. From all of them, it appears to be closest to Gibson. Once again, though, colour matching through a screen is not optimal.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects