Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What filler for gap in skirting boards?

nparrella95
Cultivating a Following

What filler for gap in skirting boards?

Hi All,

Looking for some advice, I am needing to fill a fairly sizable gap between skirting boards at my home. I have previously used no more gaps which has worked for a short term however with the heat lately and earth movement the gap has reopened. No more gaps also didn't provide the best looking finish. 

Looking for some advice for an appropriate filler, as I am planning to remove the no more gaps, sand it back and want to fill it with something proper that will leave a smooth surface after sanding and painting. Even think I may need to fill it with additional timber skirting then use gap filler around that, but keen to hear suggestions. Reference picture is below. Appreciate any advice.

420657281_860158989243417_4247403150433104737_n.jpg 

Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What filler for gap in skirting boards?

Hi @nparrella95,

There seems to be a significant amount of movement in this skirting. Typically, a product like No More Gaps would work quite well as it's flexible. Given the size of the gap, I'd remove the sealant and fill it with Builders Bog, which can be sanded smooth. The downside to a filler like this is that it's not flexible. Given the movement in this area, I would expect to see cracks again in the future, but these will be smaller and can be filled with the No More Gaps. As you've suggested, the alternative is to fill the area with timber.  

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects