Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What filler to use for wall cracks and holes?

nerea
Cultivating a Following

What filler to use for wall cracks and holes?

Hey guys. 

I'm painting my house and need advice with which filler to use to fill small cracks and big holes in the walls. I need something easy to use as I'm not a pro. 

I went to Bunnings a few weeks ago and they gave me this products(in the pictures )which I've used in the ceilings and some parts of the walls but I don't think they are suitable for walls. So I need better advice before I keep going. 

So I need it for different problems.

1. To fill small cracks in walls 

2. When the old skirting got removed it pilled the old paint(in pictures)I'm planning on sanding it smooth but will need to be filled to make it completely flat(keep in mind its a massive area probably 50 l/m so I will need a big filler). I've used this red gyprock in like 10 l/m already. 

3. When he skirting got removed it actually made some small and big holes in the walls that I have to fill too.

4. We are doing some electrical work and have to chase the walls as the electrical could not be done internally. Ones the electrictrical is done I will have to plaster this too. In pictures 

IMG20240417141248.jpg

IMG20240417134156.jpg

  

IMG20240417134115.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What filler to use for wall cracks and holes?

Hello @nerea 

The third picture you posted shows where the skirting board use to be. It appears that the masonry wall was covered with a light internal render. It is difficult to tell if it is plaster or paint. If it is paint, sanding it down should not be an issue. 

However, if it is a light coat of plaster, you'll need to apply some Gyprock CSR 20kg Hardwall Plaster so that it levels out with the old plaster. I suggest having a look at this discussion - Can you plaster over brick? by @kj2801

In regards to the electrical conduit channels, if they are not so deep, you can cover them with Dingo 10kg Mortar Mix.

Here is a handy step by-step guide: 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
nerea
Cultivating a Following

Thanks so much for your response

So its definitely plaster not paint. The paint its the grey color which is pealing, is there anything easier to apply that I can put between the plaster and the paint to smooth out the line? Without having to use this hard wall plaster? I would use the hard wall plaster to fill the wholes but wanted something easier for the paint line. I've tried to mark it in this picture. I've done it with the red tub of gyprock(in the picture) and looks perfect....just not sure of the durability as this is not meant for that

And how about the bits where I have put the red tub gyprock?

Would it be ok?? I have primed it already with dulux precision sealer binder. 

And what do I have to put on top of the hard wall plaster? To get it ready for paint. 

Thanks so much

Nerea

IMG_20240417_184223.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nerea 

It appears to be, but I'll get a second pair of eyes to look at your pictures in order to get a second opinion. In regards to the parts you've already done, I suggest leaving them as they are. 

In the meantime, allow me to make a few inquiries about the Gyprock compound your using. As soon as I have more information, I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nerea,

The products you have on hand are suitable for walls and can be used for your project. I'd recommend using the multi-joint compound for the larger cracks and holes and the topping compound for thin applications to smooth the surface.

For the paint line, simply chip away and loose paint and then use the topping compound to skimcoat the area. You'll then need to sand the area back to a smooth surface before priming and painting.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

nerea
Cultivating a Following

Thanks so much for your reply. I really appreciate it. 

I would do that. I'm glad I don't have to use the bags where I have to do the mixing as they have a set time and I'm good at doing a neat job but definitely not quick. So this red tub compound would be ok to use where the electrical wiring is going to go? Note the wires will be protected with a conduct. 

Screenshot_2024-04-18-07-30-21-57_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Just one more question, I was reading last night for ours in your website and reviews and what not. Would it be best if I purchase this compound (in pictures) for the lower bits of the wall to cover the paint line and small cracks? I'm asking because it's says it's a heavy weight formula and I'm not 100% sure if its stronger or more durable to withstand the pass of time in an area that might be more susceptible to nicks? 

Thanks so much 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Although the jointing compound is not specifically designed for that use, @nerea, it should be more than fine. Remember you'll need to skim coat it with the topping compound for a smooth result.

They are all very similar products; I'd just stick with the topping compound you have, as I can't see a significant benefit in swapping to the Jointmaster. However, if you require a whole heap more product, then you could make the move.

Mitchell

nerea
Cultivating a Following

Awesome. Yes I think I might need more so if I do I will make the move. This is an big old home and we are freshen up everywhere. 

One very last question. 

We are putting some vj panels. Which one would you recommend to use to cover the screw holes? I got this one too that I use for my upcycled furniture

IMG_20240418_080904.jpg

..as you can see I store a whide variety 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You could do a trial with that one, @nerea, but my only concern is that the particle size might not give you an exceptionally smooth appearance. I trust that, given you've been using it extensively, you might be familiar with the results. It's perfectly fine to use. An alternative would be Timbermate 250g Pine Wood Filler.

Mitchell

nerea
Cultivating a Following

Yes I noticed it's not as smooth. 

I've used the timbermate when I need a wood look. So handy all the different tipe of grains too. 

Ok so I will stick to the gyprock green tub for the vj panels then. I'm doing so much atm that anything that will make the job easier I will take it

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects