Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best paint stripper to use on furniture?

Caron
Making a Splash

What is the best paint stripper to use on furniture?

I have an original antique wrought iron bed (circa 1800s) that I bought of marketplace, to strip and repaint which seems to have a couple of laters of paint (quite thick).

in addition, I have a timber mantle (circa 1840s) to also be stripped back before painting - appears to have about six layers of different paints. 

What would be the best paint stripper/s - not knowing what was used previously and also to keep toxins to a minimal. What would be the best way to clean these up to re-paint.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the best paint stripper to use on furniture?

Hi @Caron,

I'd recommend using Diggers 1L Paint Stripper as it is low odour, biodegradable, methylene chloride-free, suitable for interior use and safer to use than other varieties. You'll still need to wear suitable protective clothing, gloves and eye/face protection when using this product.

Grab yourself a paint scraper, scraper blade, wire brush, a set of wire brushes for a drill and some steel wool. You'll also need an assortment of sandpaper in various grits from 80-240. The paint scraper and blades with be great on your mantle, and the wire brushes and steel wool will be needed to remove the stripped paint on the bed frame. After you've removed the bulk of the paint, some cleanup is needed with the sandpaper to remove any residual paint. If there is excessive paint left after the first application of the stripper, you can apply a second coat.

If you can do any of this work outside, I would encourage you to do so or ventilate the inside area.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Mitchell - appreciate your advice.  Will head to a store today!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

How'd you go @Caron, busy stripping away? Please do update us when you get a chance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Got the stripper but didn’t get to it this weekend. Will post pics when done 😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects