Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best way to color dining chairs?

sper
Building a Reputation

What is the best way to color dining chairs?

IMG_3613.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the best way to color dining chairs?

Hello @sper 

I suggest having a look at this excellent discussion regarding painting chairs - Upcycled chairs: Painting advice needed by @Mave

Before you begin, I often recommend doing a paint test to find out if you have oil or water-based paint on the surface. I suggest getting some methylated spirits and a clean rag. Put some of the spirit on the corner of the rag and rub a hidden corner of the chair. If the paint comes off, it is water-based but if it only goes clean and shiny it is oil based.

Once you find out what kind of paint you have, you'll be able to determine what you need to use on your chair. 

The key to a successful repainting project is preparation. The chair needs to be sanded very well, but because your chair is still in very good condition it does not need to be sanded down all the way to the wood. Once you've sanded the surface, you'll need to wipe it down with a damp rag to remove all the paint dust.     

The next step will be to prime and paint the chair. My number one tip is to find a spot where you can make a lot of mess and the chair will be protected from the elements. It's important that while the paint dries it is protected from the wind and rain.

I suggest having a look at Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 1L for priming. I also recommend Dulux 1L Aquanamel Semi Gloss White Enamel Paint for the topcoat.

Here is a link to a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint like a professional

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects