Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What materials to use for painting weatherboards?

ismith222
Just Starting Out

What materials to use for painting weatherboards?

i am soon going to be painting the outside of my house it is a weatherboard house and i will be doing it on my own i am looking at buying a paint sprayer looking at the wagner 150  and as i have one side of the house is on a steep driveway and is unlevel i am looking at buying a ladder the little giant 22 leveller

and what is the best paint for painting weatherboards british paints or dulux    and i have seen low sheen  semi gloss and so on

just after a bit of feedback as bunnings is shut

on the wagner spray gun 150    the little giant ladder leveller  22 the side of the house  is about 12 foot and is uneven suface  i dont want to fall and what is the best paint bristish paint or dulux thank guys

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What materials to use for painting weatherboards?

Hello @ismith222

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about what paint to use on your weatherboards.

The key to an excellent paint job is preparation. Painters always say that it is 90 percent preparation 10 percent actual painting. It is always good practice to remove the mold and mildew on your weatherboard before sanding it down. This prevents the mold spores from spreading while you sand the surface. The final clean should be washing it with sugar soap and giving it a good wash before putting on the new coat of paint.

I've used Dulux Weathersheild and have found it to be an excellent exterior paint. Using a low sheen finish is suggested for outside use. The Wagner Control Pro 150 (HEA) Airless Paint Sprayer has excellent reviews and is perfect for these kinds of projects. The Wagner 150 has excellent manual control settings, I strongly suggest familiarizing yourself with the unit before attempting to use it. 

The Little Giant M22 is a good multi-purpose ladder with excellent leveling features for uneven terrain. Please note that you will have to specially order this model at the Special Orders Desk at your local store. My only other recommendation is to practice with your sprayer before committing to your weatherboards.

It sounds like a fantastic painting project. It would be wonderful if you could provide us with an update on your project and a review of the Wagner 150's performance. Should you need more advice or information, please let us know. Our members would be more than happy to help out.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint weatherboards

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects