Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What paint can be used on and around the metal of an open fireplace?

Ron2
Just Starting Out

What paint can be used on and around the metal of an open fireplace?

What paint can sustain the heat of an open fire when applied to the metal frame of the fire place?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What paint can be used on and around the metal of an open fireplace?

Hi @Ron2,

A very warm welcome to Workshop.

Sounds like you are getting in early on this project ahead of the weather turning cooler. Are you able to share a photo of your fireplace so we can see what you are working with? I'm sure our helpful community members will be happy to help. Let me tag @MitchellMc as he might like to kick off the discussion with some recommendations for you.

Thanks again for joining us. We look forward to reading more about your projects and plans. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house or garden as we have a fantastic community here sharing helpful advice and inspiration every day. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What paint can be used on and around the metal of an open fireplace?

Welcome @Ron2, It's great to have you join the Workshop community. Many thanks for your question, I trust the suggestions below are helpful.

White Knight Pot Belly Black is a brushable paint solution that is heat resistant, self-priming and designed for use on metal surfaces which are subject to radiant heat. It has a maximum heat resistance of 300°C.

A spray can option is also available: White Knight High Temp. The product is a heat resistant silicon-based flat finishing coat designed for use on metal surfaces subject to extreme heat. It has a maximum heat resistance of 540°C.

I would recommend choosing the White Knight High Temp as it would be difficult to judge how hot the frame gets.

Before application please make sure there is not any loose or flaky paint. If there is, remove it with a metal scraper and sand the edges down to a smooth finish. Wipe the remaining frame down with some Selleys Sugar Soap and rinse with fresh water after. Allow the frame to dry completely then apply the paint.

Once painted, it would be great if you could share a photo of the finished fireplace as I’m sure the rest of the community would like to see the results.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you need any additional information or have a question about the painting process. We’re also happy to hear about any other projects you may have around your home.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects