Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What paint do you recommend for thin plasterboard?

AmandaV
Growing in Experience

What paint do you recommend for thin plasterboard?

We recently moved into our newly purchased home and I've discovered that the plasterboard has the thinnest render on it - in fact, it could just be paint. When patching a hole in the wall recently, a very light sanding took me right down to the plasterboard in a second.

I can't afford to render the whole house but it does need to be repainted ( by me). Ideally I'd like a quality paint that is washable and provides a really substantial finish to compensate for lack of render. I'd love any suggestions. Thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What paint do you recommend for thin plasterboard?

Hello @AmandaV 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting thin plasterboard.

Congratulations on moving into your new home. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the damage on your wall? It will give our members a chance to assess the condition of the paint or surface cover that's currently on your wall. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

Typically, when you have weak surface paint and you want to paint over it, I often suggest using a binding primer such as Dulux 4L PRECISION White Sealer Binder or Zinsser 0.95L Peel Stop Clear Binding Primer. These primers seal porous surfaces and binds powdery surfaces, it provides a sound foundation over which to apply subsequent coats of paint.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AmandaV
Growing in Experience

Re: What paint do you recommend for thin plasterboard?

Thanks Eric!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects