Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What paint for vinyl weatherboard cladding?

JulieN
Getting Established

What paint for vinyl weatherboard cladding?

I have a house cladding in vinyl weatherboards which has some stains from splashes of decking paint that we cannot get out. I thought of painting the cladding but dont know what paint would be most suitable. Advice needed please. :smile: 

Cheers, Julie

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What paint for vinyl weatherboard cladding?

Hello @JulieN

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your weatherboard cladding.

You're absolutely correct when you mention that decking paint stains. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the stained cladding? Our members can then assess its condition. We can then offer recommendations on how to fix it. 

What cleaning methods have you tried on the stain to remove it? Did you use any chemicals? Do you still have the can of the stain you used on your deck? I know it's a lot of questions, but the more information you can provide our members will allow us to formulate the best solution for you.  

However, if you've tried everything under the sun to clean the cladding and nothing works. Then your only choice is to paint it. You'll have to sand the cladding to prepare the surface. I suggest using  Dulux 1L PRECISION High Opacity Stain Blocker. This will prevent any stain from travelling up the paint and creating a stain shadow. 

For the top coat, I recommend using  Dulux 4L Exterior Paint Weathershield Low Sheen Vivid White. If you wish to match the colour of the cladding, you'll need to bring a sample piece no smaller than a 10c coin to the paint department so that they can colour match the paint.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JulieN
Getting Established

Hi Eric, sorry for the delay in responding. I have used a few different products to clean but haven't gone a harsh as Turps because i wasn't sure how that would go on Vinyl Weatherboards, more household cleansers.  I have now attached a photo of the stain used and the stain marks on the vinyl weatherboards.

Cheers, Julie

IMG_6691[1].JPG 438b41a5-ba21-4f84-a282-b68a6f521de7.jpgcfac8588-14f2-4a06-8d56-9a2c8adb867b.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JulieN,

You could try some turps as it's the only thing I can think of that might shift the product. Unfortunately, the stain component has likely penetrated into the vinyl and won't come out. Do a test section to see if the turps affects the vinyl; I wouldn't have thought so. Painting might be your only option if you can't get the marks to budge.

Mitchell

JulieN
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell, ill give that a go then. If it doesn't work, then should i then use the products Eric has mentioned earlier in the chat? Cheers, Julie. 

JulieN
Getting Established

I just tried the Turps and not budging at all even with all my strength, nothing. I'll wait to hear back to confirm the paint to use and take that path. Cheers, Julie. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Do you happen to know the manufacturer of the vinyl cladding @JulieN? It would be best to check with them on paint compatibility and whether painting would void any existing warranty. Vinyl cladding expands and contracts significantly due to temperature. Paints designed for it are normally a blend of urethane and acrylic. @EricL has provided some fantastic acrylic options above, but I'd still recommend checking with the manufacturer who are the experts with their product.

Mitchell

JulieN
Getting Established

The vinyl weatherboards are over 25 years old so there isn't any warranty there. I'm also not sure who the manufacturer was. Cheers, Julie. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Then I would suggest doing a test section with the primer to see if it adheres correctly @JulieN. Apply the primer, wait until it has fully cured, apply some masking tape onto it, wait 5 minutes and then rip the tape back off at a 90-degree angle. If the tape pulls off the paint, then you might need to use a specialty primer for hard to paint surfaces like Dulux Max Precision.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects