Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What paint is recommended for skirting boards and trims?

MarleyJ_Aus
Getting Established

What paint is recommended for skirting boards and trims?

new skirting boards I don’t need primer as they are Hume already done What’s the best one for both please 

thanks guys 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: recommended paint for skirting boards & trims

Hi @MarleyJ_Aus,

You might like to read through these helpful articles on How to choose the right paint for the job and How to paint like a professional.

My recommendation and the product I use is Dulux Aquanamel. It's a hard-wearing water-based enamel paint that is easy to apply, and the cleanup of brushes and roller in water is a breeze. I've used it on all the trim and skirting boards in my home over the last several years and have been impressed with the results.

There are other options out there as well. I recently used some Taubmans Ultimate Enamel, which is an alkyd paint. It's also water-based and has a low odour. I was pretty impressed with it too. 

I trust you'll be pleased with the performance of either of these two paints around your home.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LivMitch
Cultivating a Following

Hi there Mitchell,

1) Is there a low odour, low toxicity water-based paint for skirting boards?

I couldn't find one in the Ultra Air range.  

To check if the existing paint on the skirting is oil-or water-based, a Team member suggested rubbing methylated spirits on it to see if it comes off. It didn't come off, so I'll assume it's a water-based paint.  I've sanded them back thoroughly.

2) Is there any other test I should do?  And if it is oil-based on the skirting, would sanding it back thoroughly be the preparation for repainting?

Thanks again,

Liv 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @LivMitch,

I believe the test is putting some methylated spirits on a rag and wiping at a small section of the skirting. If the cloth is stained with the wall colour, it is water-based; if it's not, it is oil-based. Sounds like you have oil-based paint on your skirting boards. Regardless, sanding them back is always a good approach, especially if it is gloss paint. If you are painting water-based over oil-based, it's a good idea to sand and use a primer first.

The Ultra Air range is a soft-wearing paint designed for walls. For skirting boards, we'd typically use a harder-wearing paint like Dulux Aquanamel. Depending how sensitive you are to odour, I would consider Aquanamel low odour as there is not pungent smell to it. It smells like water-based paint and nowhere near what oil-based paint smells like. It is non-toxic after it has cured. Before it is cured, it would only be considered "toxic" if you drank the liquid paint. It does release volatile organic compounds (VOCs) whilst it is curing, so you wouldn't have a baby or bird in the same room whilst it cures. If you wanted to protect yourself, I'd advise wearing a Trojan A1+P2 Half Mask Respirator, which is rated to eliminate VOCs. You'll find it will also eliminate most smells as well.

You could use the Ultra Air on the skirting if you wished, though expect to do touchups now and again if anything knocks against it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

LivMitch
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell,

Ok, given that I have oil-based paint on my skirting boards - now thoroughly sanded - would Ultra Air Interior Primer be OK for the skirting boards, before using Dulux Aquanamel?

Thanks for your comprehensive response, much appreciated. 

Liv 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Since you've thoroughly sanded, the Ultra Air primer will be fine to use @LivMitch

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects