Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What's the equivalent of lacquer for furniture?

tod
Cultivating a Following

What's the equivalent of lacquer for furniture?

Hi,

Just wondering, what would be the same as "Lacquer" in Australia?  Is it just simply varnish or something different? Most of the woodworking videos I watch on YouTube are American and a lot of the time they finish their projects with lacquer, which always looks great.  Thanks in advance.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: What's the equivalent of lacquer?

Afternoon @tod 

I have always considerd Lacquer and Varnish to be the same type of deal. I think they look great until the varnish ages/not cared for. I would much rather to oil the timber instead. That way the aged look builds up and the timber develops a deeper hue. Thats just my preference tho. 

Any time I hear of Varnish/Lacquer use doutside the house I cringe as our sun/weather is intense on it.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tod,

The closest equivalent product would be a polyurethane coating like Cabot's Cabothane. I'd suggest using the water-based version to better mimic the clear qualities of laquer; the oil-based version can throw a yellow/golden hue. Lacquer is stronger and better wearing than standard varnishes and shellac. You'll sometimes see the term "varnish" used to describe all clear protective coatings, but it is quite a specific product. Polyurethane is a type of varnish, but it's much harder and more resistant to wear.

Water-based Cabothane is my go-to for coating timber, especially when it's a working surface. It is sensationally easy to clean up brushes and rollers in water and has little to no smell.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tod
Cultivating a Following

@MitchellMc @Dave-1  thanks for your replies. I'll check out your suggestions.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects