Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What spray spray paint is low VOC?

AprilPower
Just Starting Out

What spray spray paint is low VOC?

I am repainting an old bird cage but I am having trouble ascertaining which spray paints are low or no VOC. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Low VOC spray paint

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @AprilPower. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting a birdcage.

You might like to read through this previous discussion on Eco-friendly paint for a bird cage.

The issue you'll experience is that low or no Volatile Organic Compound paints aren't typically durable enough to be used on things like bird cages. Birdcages are either coated with a plastic-like product, or some can be powder-coated. You'll find products like British Paints 4L White Semi Gloss Clean And Protect Interior Paint with very low VOC, but they're comparably soft paints designed for walls. I can't imagine these would last on your birdcage, especially if your bird is a chewer.

This is similar to trying to find paint for baby cots. The paint needs to be non-toxic and low VOC. In the case of birds, they are very susceptible to VOC's and all painting should be done outdoors, well away from the bird, and the painted item should be left to air for a week or two before introducing it back to the bird. Dulux Aquanamel is relatively hard-wearing and non-toxic after fully cured, making it suitable for baby cots. However, it's not low VOC. It's quite a tricky situation.

So, if this old bird cage is very ornate and/or sentimental, it would be worth trying to find suitable paint. I'd recommend replacing it if it's just an old cage with worn paint.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects