Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What stain to use?

Newbie-
Growing in Experience

What stain to use?

Hello, 
I have a piece of furniture which I’ve sanded back. I’m wanting to stain and protect it in a similar colour to the item in the image.

Any suggestions on what to use?

D7F2D7EF-8BA5-4A22-BC55-2501C376766B.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: what stain to use

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Newbie-. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about coating timber.

We have a wide selection of stains and protective coatings to choose from. The colour stain you use to recreate this look here will heavily depend on the type of timber and current colour. Would you mind showing us an image or two? It would be beneficial for our members when offering advice tailored to your project if they could see what you're working with.

If you visit one of our stores, you can view examples of the different coloured stains over real timber. Alternatively, you can try and decide based on colour cards. The Cabot's colour visualiser shows you how their stains will look over different types of timber. The great thing about Cabot's interior stain is that our helpful Paint Desk team members can tint it into hundreds of different colours. I've included a number of Cabot's stain colours below, with a sample of your desired colour in the corner. Potentially the Manuka would be a similar match, but you'll likely need to pick up a few colours and do a small test section in an inconspicuous location.

The coating applied here has been wiped back and is not a saturated coat. They've perhaps applied a small amount to a rag and wiped it sparingly over the timber, building up the colour. This allows you to see the grain of the timber and patterns. Applying the stain with a saturated brush will all go one solid colour, and you won't achieve this effect.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Stains.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Newbie-
Growing in Experience

Great! Thank you. That’s excellent.

What would be best to use as a top coat/protect it? I don’t want anything gloss.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Agreed, it looks to be a matt finish on your inspiration project. I'd suggest something like the Cabothane Matt to achieve a similar result. Once again, do a test section to make sure you're happy with the finish before committing to the whole project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects