Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do with skirting wall problem?

Karl92
Growing in Experience

What to do with skirting wall problem?

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. 

Very long story short. We had some flooding in our entries house and had to rip up laminate and install new flooring. 

New flooring was not as thick as old flooring so it left these cut lines. Needed to remove skirting and install old one again. 

Not sure what to do in this situation to cover it up. Funds are currently tight. 

Do I just no gap the top? 

Any and all suggestions welcome.

These cut lines run along the length of the house (except bedrooms)

20220712_175507.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What to do with skirting wall problem?

Hi @Karl92,

Always great to see a long-time lurker join in the discussion! Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand. We're here to help.

Sorry to hear about your flooding issue but great to see you've managed to replace the flooring. 

Let me tag a few extremely helpful Bunnings Workshop community members for their thoughts on how to tackle this repair:

@CSParnell@TedBear@TheRenoDad@sandy_d.

Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will also be keen to assist as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Karl92 

You will have a slight raised edge due to the cut line of the paint so if u can give that a light sand down with some folded paper sand paper and even place some blue tape top side of cut line to not sand the existing would be a better thing. After that some no more gaps will do the job but use a caulking tool as per below to get a constant even skim.

Hope that helps

Carl

Screenshot_20220713-095020_Chrome.jpg

TheRenoDad
Having an Impact

Hi @Karl92 

Sorry to hear about your flooding situation.

You're on the right track with using a gap filler. My go to is No More Gaps (White)

You will be surprised at how much you can hide with the gap filler.

Not sure about your gap filler experience level, you can find a good tutorial here from Bunnings

A trick I like to use is to lightly spray the gap filler with something like windex before smoothing it out with your finger.

Cheers,

Luke | IG - @TheRenoDad

Post may contain sponsored content
sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Karl92 i Agree with everyone’s great suggestions for a gap filler. I’ve used Sellys multipurpose gap filler for something similar and it’s worked perfectly. It’s easy to use and water washable and paintable. 

Karl92
Growing in Experience

Thanks for tagging 

Karl92
Growing in Experience

Thanks heaps

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Karl92,

It looks like you've already received great assistance from our helpful and knowledgeable members. If you encounter difficulties or have further questions, please don't hesitate to let us know. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects