Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What type of paint to use?

robinblake8
Just Starting Out

What type of paint to use?

Hi,

I'm new here, my teen daughter wants to paint one wall of her bedroom Black.

She then wants to get poster paint textas and be able to draw on it and wipe it off.

Would you be able to recommend a brand and type of paint to use?

Thanks so much

Robin

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What type of paint to use?

Hi Robin (@robinblake8)

Welcome to the Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us and I trust you'll get loads of helpful advice and inspiration for your projects from our wonderful members. Please don't hesitate to ask anytime you need a hand with anything. 

Let me tag the ever-helpful @MitchellMc who might like to share some product suggestions with you. 

I hope you can share some photos of your daughter's handiwork when the project is completed. It sounds like a striking feature and a fun idea to help express her creativity. 

Thanks for joining in the discussion and please let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from the Workshop site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What type of paint to use?

Welcome to the Workshop community @robinblake8. Many thanks for your question, I'm happy to help.

Poster markers will typically wipe off glossy surfaces, so there are a couple of options which might achieve what you are looking for with this project. However, as there are no paints specifically designed for use with textas, you might need to do some trial and error. I would certainly recommend a test before painting the wall. 

One possible solution is Dulux Super Enamel High Gloss Black Enamel Paint applied with a Uni pro 230mm Microfibre Roller Cover. This roller cover has a short 4mm nap and will give a very smooth finish. The paint would need to fully cure (up to one week) before attempting to draw on it.

Another option is to apply black self-adhesive film over your existing paint. To assist in it sticking to the painted surface, clean your wall with sugar soap first, then wash the residual cleaner off. Allow the wall to dry before applying the film. Some self-adhesive films come with a texture to their surface. I would select a smooth film, to aid in marker removal.

For the markers, I would suggest using dry-wipe pens similar to Boyle Liquid Chalk Markers.

There is also a great range of Chalkboard Paint available which is easy to apply. A similar effect to the markers could be achieved with a variety of colourful chalk.

I look forward to seeing what some of our helpful members suggest for your project, and seeing the end results. If you would like any more information about the products I have mentioned, please feel free to let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects