Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What type of timber is my bench seat?

Michael11
Cultivating a Following

What type of timber is my bench seat?

Hello,

Was just wondering if anyone might know what type of timber the attached bench seat is made from?

It is a bench seat in our kitchen that had a brown stain/varnish and I'm in the process of sanding it back (and still a bit to do) Bench 1.jpgBench 2.jpgto use as a seat on our porch. 

As per the images attached, sanding it back a bit has revealed a timber with a reddish hue (but also with a nice bit going on colour/grain/imperfection wise).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Michael 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What type of timber is my bench seat?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Michael11. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about timber types.

That looks pretty similar to Cypress Pine to me. Typically, you'll see it used on floors coated in an oil-based polyurethane. These older poly's yellowed, and most think of Cypress Pine as an orangey/yellow coloured timber. However, it is found un-coated in a range of colours and certainly gets into the reddish hues. The distinctive lighter sections are also a bit of a giveaway.

Lovely bench. I can't wait to see it finished. Keep us updated and reach out if you need further assistance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Michael11
Cultivating a Following

Re: What type of timber is my bench seat?

Thanks so much Mitchell for the super helpful response (and the warm welcome) - really appreciate it!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects