Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Whole home low budget slow refresh

BoeingFan
Becoming a Leader

Whole home low budget slow refresh

Home Sweet Home!Home Sweet Home!So I'm about to take on a little cottage in the middle of nowhere to be near family, and I'm beside myself with excitement about all the stuff we can do to freshen her up. I've never done any reno stuff before, but a lick of paint is always a great place to start. Bunnings, here I come!

P.S. I'm still trying to work out how to add an image to this post!

Re: Whole home low budget slow refresh

Hi @MitchellMc 

I hope you're well. Things have chugged along a little so I thought I'd provide a snapshot of the outside of the cottage now after it's had one lick of paint. There's still so much to do!

We had the septic system installed a couple of months ago, so the poor old camelia tree was relocated just before winter, and I don't think it took too kindly to it! The garden shed is gone and the lawn has been cleaned up somewhat thanks to an old McCulloch ride on we scored for 700 bucks. 

The roof is going to be done in about a month's time; colourbond iron, guttering and fascia all the way around. No more TV aerial either. Can't wait. I have been very fortunate to have an older build doing the job who only works in hardwood and lets me to a lot of the work with him, so I get to learn stuff as we go. 

Excuse the mess. 

Regards,

Jason

IMG_1260 - Copy.JPGIMG_1261 - Copy.JPG

Re: Whole home low budget slow refresh

It's really coming together now, Jason (@BoeingFan)! Once that roof goes on, it's going to be looking mint. I can't wait to see how that comes up.

Many thanks for sharing your update with us. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Temporary Dishwasher Install Advice Please

Good morning @KatieC and @MitchellMc ,

Update on the shower screen; the new one with a door is installed and looks superb.

Cheers,

Jason

IMG_1617 - Copy.JPG

Love it @BoeingFan! You must be super-pleased with those results! 

How's the shower door working out? Did it resolve those issues?

Mitchell

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Gorgeous job @BoeingFan!

Katie

Thank you all + @KatieC @MitchellMc ,

I'm very, very happy with the shower screen door handle in particular, because the screen provider didn't have any D handles available in matt black, so I thought it would be aesthetically clean to use the same Ikonic 300x30mm Matt Black Handles that I used on the bathroom door. In fact, I love these handles so much, I'm using them throughout the house!

Cheers,

Jason

Hi @MitchellMc ,

Indeed it did; now all is well, I should have done this at the start but didn't realise those issues at the time.

This last week has seen a small deck and a pigeon pair of very old glass doors be installed off the kitchen area. There was a small 1x3ft window originally, however there was some water damage in the walls underneath, so I asked the builder if he'd restore the doors, and presto, they started going in this week. What do you think?

Original little window with some water damage undernearth it on the eastern wall.Original little window with some water damage undernearth it on the eastern wall.Interior masonite wall and window removed.Interior masonite wall and window removed.Well now this is starting to look top shelf!Well now this is starting to look top shelf!The doors have this beautiful overlapping etching on them giving a 3D effect and are made of Meranti.The doors have this beautiful overlapping etching on them giving a 3D effect and are made of Meranti.Tick of approval from the site supervisor :)Tick of approval from the site supervisor :smile:

Cheers,
Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @BoeingFan 

I just saw your bathroom renovation and it absolutely looks fabulous! What an absolute transformation I don't recognize it at all. 

Those glass doors you've had installed near your fridge are just marvellous. It has really brightened up the area and I can't wait to see it clad and finished. I'm glad the site supervisor approves!

Thank you so much for the update.

Eric

Hi @EricL !

Thank you so much for your kind words, I appreciate it.

I'm very happy with the bathroom, it's come up really well. The vivid white painted walls with the clean, glossy white laminate panel really carry the crisp white feel all the way around. I am not a fan of tiles, and on a trip to Vegas many years ago I discovered moulded white wall surrounds which are far easier to keep clean and fresh than tiles, so I was an instant fan and wanted something similar for my own.

After having lived in rentals with shower curtains that stick to your legs, those hideous old three panel sliding doors which are a pain to clean and I have to turn sideways to get out of, and bathtubs with a shower rose over them and the eternal fear of slipping over getting out, was the driver for a huge, flat shower recess with a simple glass screen straight across. Clean, simple and easy to scrub.

The glass doors are beautiful, and not something I've ever seen before. They're made of Meranti, are very heavy, and were sitting for at least 13 years in the garage since Mum passed away, so asked the builder if he was happy to restore them, and voila, there they are. I'm stoked with them, they're gorgeous. In fact they used to be sliding doors, but my builder put overlapping rebates (I hope that's the right word) on each one to keep the rain out and they work beautifully.

Thanks again @EricL I'm really chuffed you like what we've done so far.

Cheers,
Jason

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good morning @BoeingFan 

:smile: Thats a good looking bathroom reno! What a step up. I was scrolling through the projects a syou do and saw your little house. Then saw how many comments and went wooooo somehow it dropped off the radar :smile: Its nice seeing your place change!

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects