Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Will 2 way switch work with smart switch?

shunter6669
Getting Established

Will 2 way switch work with smart switch?

20230122_215758.jpg

SmartSelect_20230122_220121_Drive.jpg

  

So I wanted to replace one of the switches in the hall with a smart switch. as shown above the switch can currently be activated from either end of the hall. if I just replace one side will it still work? do I need to change anything else or swap both ends?

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Will 2 way switch work with smart switch?

Hi @shunter6669 

The short answer is no that wifi  unit  as is  a single pole switch.

Where as the standard light switches  use  a single pole double throw at each end of a  pair of switched active lines allowing  either switch to complete a light circuit.

However  If a relay Double pole double throw  240v ac activated and  switched Relay was  hypothetically used to replace the wall switch the Wifi light module could activate the relay as if it was a standard  light switch.

hypothetical Idea.hypothetical Idea.

This hypothetically  will however give  electricians a pink fit Even though it is electrically sound as the use of relays in households I have never seen and before and they will have to install this  and sign off on it good luck  on that one. 

Seek Electrician to Discuss with and or install.

Plan B 

@shunter6669  Smart Switch going directly to a light bypassing all wall switches these days it should be possible to put in a sensor at each end of the  lighting circiut eg a corridor  and program  the light to go on and off as you wish when the detector (smart PIR) Or (Smart camera are common these days) ) outputs a  trigger to Google etc. which will in turn on the  light.  As well as  your phone or  remote delta  device can turn on the light.  Also  Google Nest speaker can listen to your verbal commands 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @shunter6669,

It's great to see @Jewelleryrescue has provided some information.

I'd agree that the second switch will cause issues. There might be a fancy way around this, so let me mention one of our smart home experts, @CSParnell, to see if he has any thoughts. 

It's worth mentioning that since this is a 240V installation, it's essential to employ the services of a qualified electrician for any work needing completion.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you very much for the information so far.  I have not attempted to install yet and am waiting for more info.  Hopefully @CSParnell can come up with something as my electrician was not happy when i suggested a relay :cheeky: 

Is there somewhere to suggest new products to deta?  would like to see a pack maybe that that contains something for this scenario or similar.  Would also like to see 2 switches with a fan controller and 3 switches with fan controller.  Or maybe a way to special order switches in a certain combo.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @shunter6669

Would changing both ends with a smart switch solve the problem? You would probably need to identify the switches if you were programming a sequence behaviour that you're after. If you wish to suggest products to DETA here is a link to their contact page: Contact Us

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @shunter6669 

Yep  pink fit,  Shame the delta wasnt  SPDT (ie that relay was built in)  it would replace one of the light switches and electrican would connect a black box with holes in it.  

I designed and made my first 4 channel remote power point using RF  remote  Frequency Shift Key FSK  1995 for $70

It was for my Dad to remotly active lights around his  garage in the country without having to run multiple light cables to the shed underground.  China mob  made a similar one for 30$  but dual channel  now the worlds  changed again  to Smart systems and WIFI

Maybe you can contact Delta and  ask there advice can they do Dual switch light with wifi

There are many wifi smart  systems out there and growing daily and  can be very confusing I limit myself to google home  as it can talk to many wifi smart systems including your  Delta switches and its list is growing daily  To connect your switch to  wifi Grid connect and then Google   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiqfG2xR7EU     

From there  you can add Scene programing to just about do any thing via home automation (Google Home or Alexa etc.) If your remote switch is  smart switch too   Welcome to the future.

Another  example  Using Sonoff  products  showing  simple scene programing to make this work.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyZwcZS7Qu4

The easiest solution is  delta makes a solution to dual light switch Wifi  Or  another  brand I have found two systems  on ebay but i wont recommend them as they are unknown  quality.

Hey @shunter6669 it has to he done via programming only as per the below link.

https://grid-connect.com.au/multi-way-switching-via-automation/

If you loose your wifi throughout the house it will return to single way switching until it is restored.

Hope that helps some.

You got my attention with the FSK. Perhaps a few years before and living on solar I made a DTMF controller to do similar light switching. Like you pointed out there are plenty of 'Smart' options that can achieve 2 way switching with no wiring.

Thats  interesting  @radiotek 

I never thought beyond Dial up modems for DTFM.  I still remember servicing modems the size of brief cases where the phone handset sat in a foam cradle.   On a good  day we used to get 96 baud on a clear line. 

Well done on your light switching controller. :smile: implementing DTFM

I use to machine code processors direct to 16 bit processors for  fun but never  evolved  to the more modern PIC Microcontrollers avalable due to the lack of time and direct need. The more modern processor has many functions built in than older ones which had non. I would have to teach to multiply,  to a machine  that incures  adding up a number  Y  by X times in a loop and dealing with carry over bits registers.  

So much is taken  for granted these days.  I am  not sure machines  could ever self replicate. They  would have to build a  whole civilization to make components and mines to  dig then process ore etc.   I am not sure my  toaster is up for that yet. lol

Nice to meet you.

Update:

Looks like there may be an offering.  special order is my guess

shunter6669_0-1674906933646.png

Thanks,  I think the extra no load switch will likely be the solution I'll end up using.  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects