Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom reno in DIY July

migg
Cultivating a Following

Bathroom reno in DIY July

CD5F5802-F12E-4F5F-A0BE-05C56E4DD6FC.jpeg

Long time lurker, first post!

My wife and I purchased our first home in 2019 and moved in early 2020. Old home (1979) but super close to the beach in the Southwest of WA which we loved. Since then, we have knocked off every room in the home, bar two - the bathroom and master room. Both working full time, it’s been a slog, but as a teacher the two week holidays gives me a chunk of time to get stuck in…and so these July holidays the bathroom was finally completed. Here are the ‘before’ pics…

7C937418-78DB-44D5-BE79-2F7A47074A29.jpeg

8B91F39B-EC17-4852-89D3-5DC5CFD69F02.jpeg

A0B054BE-C717-4044-BCB5-AAC23FFE4ABA.jpeg

The space has been increased considerably with a bath/shower combo now in place and our beach/contemporary theme throughout the rest of the home has been added to the bathroom Reno.

All up, it took approx two weeks. 

The floor tiles are London Black and was my first time laying floor tiles - messier job than I thought!! Originally there were those ghastly brown mosaic tiles…took a full day with the Ozito hammer drill but got them all up in the end.

23DB9045-01FB-478A-A425-2EC22133C7EA.jpeg

BEA69488-FDA6-4F20-B164-B8909BD36E35.jpeg

Django was our building inspector throughout the project 🐈

The original shower area was ripped out and filled in with screed before the new tiles went down.

The wall cladding is the Easycraft Shiplap from Bunnings. Porta D Mould really gives it that touch of raw colour the vanity area needed.

Dulux white gloss tile paint over the shower area to cover the unsightly 1979 yellow tile colour theme was a blessing! 4 coats got rid of it.

Heaps of storage now with the oversized vanity draws as well as bathroom cupboard to keep all the spare towels and bits and pieces is great - wife loves that part the most!

The old mirror was upcycled with a frame around it. Bunnings DAR pine and some linen white chalk paint with some select sanded areas gives the mirror a beach worn out look and fills the width of the vanity nicely.

We chose a folding floating shower screen which can be folded right back to the wall if needed. While the shower head now has the option of rain shower as well as a handheld and the bath tap also. 

0D471DC2-BFDC-4DF6-AD2F-ADB51E7D7369.jpeg

🤞 this will work.

The tub itself was a gross pinkish Color …so we tossed up whether or not to paint or get a new one installed. We opted to paint with white knight epoxy tub paint and worked out really well - took four coats but was worth it. 

The caroma long head mixer combined with the above bench basin has given the vanity a modern fresh look, I’ve always loved the look of the above bench basins and finally had the chance to install one here. We originally picked a mixer that was too low - so that one went to the kitchen which worked out well.

We will end up putting a small shelf on the cladded wall next to the mirror - still hunting for the right one. As well as a canvas on the wall opposite to the mirror above the towel racks.

There were more than a few problem solving situations and some choice words on most days - but there was always a work around! I think I made around a dozen or more trips to Bunnings within the two weeks (luckily a 8 minute drive away).

My wife has accessorised and taken the before and after pics for this - hope you like it as much as we do. Any questions on how we did any part of the Reno or where we got particular items - just ask!!

…and here is the finished product 🙌

5A8F6D62-8862-458E-A400-B58F2DB5E8C5.jpeg

CD5F5802-F12E-4F5F-A0BE-05C56E4DD6FC.jpeg

E2F0C8F1-5706-4E97-AD93-E83BEFF57165.jpeg

FA2503A8-1CDB-4296-9F68-1EAB4691EB62.jpeg

BE3F4FB8-DDD4-4685-B8F2-857F2C97E7B5.jpeg

F15B6C85-E2AF-4BE0-BBA6-318D49FAE666.jpeg

one room to go 🤩

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Bathroom reno in DIY July

Fantastic achievement, well done @migg. Great to have you share your first project with the Bunnings Workshop community. We're looking forward to seeing more of your handiwork. And it sounds like you've got plenty of knowledge and experience to share with the community, too. Please don't remain a "lurker" - we encourage you to participate in discussions across the site. 

Looking forward to seeing the other rooms of the house soon. Thanks again for sharing and welcome aboard. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ari
Having an Impact

Amazing job!  Well done to you.  I too have removed those horrible brown 5x5cm tiles .... ugh!   Ari

Annette2
Getting Established

Wow! So impressed! I have been putting off starting our bathroom reno - but think I will start this weekend now. 

Cheers and look forward to the next room :smile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

We would be happy to help @Annette2. Great to see you have been inspired by @migg. There is also plenty of other inspiring bathroom renovations on the site - our community members are full of amazing ideas. 

Please let us know if you need a hand with anything.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
migg
Cultivating a Following

@Annette2 

Hi Annette - yes definitely worth it, feel so much better stepping out the shower now!

I did it in two sections really - after ripping out the old shower out I installed the new over the bath area so we still had somewhere to shower (single bath home). Then tackled the rest of the vanity and floor tiles etc later. Just had to plan the stages out first so everyone in the house was still happy 😂

So if you don’t have a huge chunk of time - sectioning the project is worth it so now to feel overwhelmed and thinking it all has to be done in one hit 👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects