Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bunnings wood cut to custom size?

orps
Getting Established

Bunnings wood cut to custom size?

Can you buy wood panels from bunnings cut to custom size? (for building cabinets/shelves in a bathroom, so ideally a laminate or melamine.... 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Bunnings wood cut to custom size?

@orps

Many Bunnings stores offer timber cutting. On the Bunnings website, make sure you have selected your nearest store, then click on the name of your store on the top left of the screen. This will take you to your store's information page, which includes details on what services they offer. For timber cutting, I would just recommend that you try to visit at a quiet time (not weekends or public holidays). 

For more information on the Bunnings timber cutting service, our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc has put together this helpful guide - Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Hope that helps,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
blb48
Getting Established

I've used lots of plywood at 1200 x 2400 from Bunnings Mt Barker, where they have a panel saw, and they have always been happy to cut it to size for me - I can't even move a panel that big on my own! I believe you have to normally pay $1 per cut. So, for a kitchen cabinet, you could, for example, divide a large sheet of MDF, plywood or melamine into four strips of 1200 x 600, etc.    There are also many products for kitchen cabinetry that are available at the right, standard sizes, but the larger the piece you buy, the cheaper it works out.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your experience @blb48. I'm sure @orps really appreciates it. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're so pleased to have you join us. We have an amazing community here constantly sharing helpful information, advice and inspiration for projects around the house and garden. Please feel free to post anytime you need assistance or have something to share with members. And please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the site, or have feedback about how we might improve Workshop for you.

Thanks again,

Jason

JustinS1
Just Starting Out

Are there facilities to cut circular shapes?

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

As far as I know it is straight cuts only.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JustinS1. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

It's great to see you've already received a prompt and helpful response from @Brad. He's correct that our saws can dock timber to length and put straight cuts in panels.

Have you considered a jigsaw for your project? One would certainly allow you to create a variety of intricate cuts, including curves and circular shapes.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell, 

Would the cut shop resaw a standard 18mm deep piece of tassie oak to 9mm. 

I.e. cut it in half long ways? 

@brcharlton,

That would be ripping the timber lengthways. Our saws are only capable of docking, which is cutting something to length. To clarify, this is a service in-store for our products to get them home. If you are having trouble fitting something in your car, then we'll gladly cut it down to length for you.

You might be interested in having a look to see if there are any Men's Sheds in your area. I'm sure they would be happy to give you a hand for a minimal cost.

Mitchell

jaywes
Just Starting Out

wood panel cut to size

I need to have a wooden panel cut to size to replace a damaged one at the base of the vanity unit it has water damage as it is made from chip board can Bunnings cut it to size required and give me advice on the right type of wood to use for this 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects