Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I get replacement mounting plate for soap holder in shower?

notahandyperson
Getting Established

Can I get replacement mounting plate for soap holder in shower?

Rather old shower that the mounting plate clips have rusted away.

Can I get replacements I don't seem to be able to see any branding on the soap dish pictured.

Hoping to find something to fit same space as do not want to have to re-fix with something different.dish top viewdish top viewdish reardish rearwall mounting platewall mounting plate

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Can I get replacement mounting plate for soap holder in shower?

Hi @notahandyperson,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join as a member.

Apologies for the slow reply, but could you please share the dimensions of your soap holder? It might help our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts provide a suitable replacement from the Bunnings product range. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Jason,

Many thanks for your response much appreciated.

I have attached images with the mounting plate I want to I guess cover and use the already pre-drilled holes into the tiles.

Looks like maybe the plate has some sliding type as the screws in the wall appear to be at different heights.

So maybe anything that has centres for the holes around 10mm from top and bottom and maybe 10mm from either side edge?

Also added one image that shows the width of the soap dish.

1000009520.jpg

1000009522.jpg

1000009523.jpg

Good morning @notahandyperson 

Quick amateur whiteboard drawing (the UFO seen at top right is kitchen light reflection) but possibly the original bracket looked something like this?

The beveled edges of the bracket and base would interlock at the top and the bolt/screw would pull the base down when screwed against the horizontal lip.

Your tape measure looks like the plate is 40mm in width.

To me it looks like we could fabricate a new bracket. I'd love to try.

20240405_072754.jpg

EDIT - Sorry, it really is badly drawn...

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

A little better...

20240405_075802.jpg

Of course, my interpretation could be completely wrong.

Hi @notahandyperson,

If you can't identify the brand, the likelihood of finding a replacement mounting bracket is slim. I suggest replacing the soap holder, which would be an easier option. However, finding one with matching mounting holes would be next to impossible, as that layout is specifically suited to your mount. At a minimum, you'd need to re-drill some suitably spaced mounting holes and possibly use some of the existing ones. Here's a helpful guide: How to drill into tiles. Remember your PPE, including safety glasses and a face mask.

Another option might be to glue the holder back onto what remains of the mount with Sikaflex. If no children are pulling on the mount, then this could be a viable solution.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

How good is this drawing thank you :smile:

I think you are spot .... we found a couple of rusty pieces from the back plate but not sure if they are both from the bottom or top or top and bottom extrusion (right word).

I am going to have to ponder for a while to see what we may do ... I might remove the plate seal the holes with sikaflex and see if we can do something about the plate or match a sizing somehow once removed.

Much appreciated Noyade

Hi @MitchellMc 

I think I may do the sikaflex route (no kids) after removing the plate first and seeing what might be an option.

Appreciate the advice on this,

I'd probably leave the plate @notahandyperson as it will give the Sikaflex something to grip onto instead of just the flat tile.

Mitchell

Hi again @notahandyperson 

"I think I may do the sikaflex route."

Certainly a much simpler solution. My thought would require an angle-grinder and bench-grinder and a lot of patience.

Breaking it down possibly from 50 mm angle-iron. All the best for your re-attachment. 👍

(I got rid of the UFO)

Clipboard.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects