Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can i fill in an exterior window?

alicemary
Just Starting Out

Can i fill in an exterior window?

Hi all, I’m a newbie looking to embark on a laundry / bathroom reno! Currently our laundry is too big and bathroom is too small and there is a wall dividing them. We are looking to take down / rebuild wall about a metre along increasing size of bathroom. The laundry has a double exterior window and I wonder how easy it is to change size of window eg from double to a single. To do so would allow us a lot more useable wall space!

Grateful for any thoughts! Alice18BD6B58-D07E-49BE-BF68-5A92225A5AD4.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can i fill in an exterior window?

Hello @alicemary

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's terrific to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your laundry window.

I understand your desire to have more usable wall space. However, modifying an exterior window is quite involved. It will require you to remove your outside cladding, break the tiles, make a new timber frame and reclad and re-tile the whole thing. As for the dividing wall, one of the things you'll need to find out is if it is load-bearing. Once you've confirmed that it's not load-bearing, you'll be able to take it apart and move it without worry. 

In order to get a better idea of what you need to do. I suggest making a list of the things you'll be able to do yourself, and those things that you'll need a tradesperson for. For example, if there is plumbing or electrical fixtures in that wall you'll need a tradesperson to modify that for you. But you're confident you can plaster and tile the new wall. So you can ask the tradesperson to quote you for the plumbing and electrical jobs, the framing and cladding. But you can tell them you'll be tiling it yourself. 

The same method can be applied to your window project. Let's say for example that you'll do the painting for the outside cladding and tiling for the new side of the window. It's not that you can't do it as a D.I.Y. project, but sometimes we have to take things into consideration such as the amount of time it will take to do the modification, plus, you'll have a form of warranty on the works performed on your house.

It's a great project to be undertaking, my number one suggestion is to plan it out before buying any materials.

Let me tag our experienced members @TedBear @tom_builds and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Can i fill in an exterior window?

Hi @alicemary , I agree with @EricL on this.  Whilst you may be technically capable of doing the work, it isn't always the wisest thing to do when altering something as precious as your home. 

I had a laundry converted into a bathroom/laundry, which involved moving a doorway in a brick wall and removing one of two windows completely (as well as plumbing and electrics).  I elected to use a tradesman/plumber because I knew he would do it faster than I would (much more practice) and very importantly, was insured against things going wrong.  If you d-i-y it and things go wrong (eg remove a supporting wall and ceiling/roof collapses) your home insurance may decide to not cover it.

Eric's suggestion of you doing some of the re-cladding side of things would be the safest way of getting involved and getting the finishes you want, while avoiding taking on the riskier aspects of the project.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects