Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you paint a bath?

LukeBrowning
Getting Established

Can you paint a bath?

We've got a pink bath in our place and I hate it. We've had people say you can get a bath re-enamelled but I wondered whether you could DIY. Could I paint it myself? With what? How would I stop it chipping off? Thanks, Luke

Here's a pic

Pinkbath.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Can you paint a bath?

Welcome to Workshop @LukeBrowning.

This is a D.I.Y. project you might like to tackle. The following video should have all the information you need.

Hopefully other members of the Workshop community might also like to share their thoughts and advice. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
aly
Making a Splash

Hey @LukeBrowning, i've never attempted to paint a bath myself but i've seen and heard some good reports. In a previous place I rented you could tell the bath had been repainted as there were some minor chips and the original green underneath was exposed. The entire house had had a makeover and you could tell it was done on the cheap so i'm assuming the effort put in probably wasn't at its highest. I wouldn't discount painting a bath as an option but i'd definitely take the time to do it right and ensure the correct coating is applied. Great way to really enhance the appearance of a bathroom!

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Hi Jason, do you know if can you tint the bath paint, or does it need to be whatever “white” it comes in the can as? I’m keen to refurbish a bath but not sure I want that super white look, so was wondering if you could add some black to take the edge off? Thanks Craig 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Craigloft. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

There are two products that we stock which are suitable for painting bathtubs: Rust-Oleum Tub And Tile Refinishing Kit and White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint. Unfortunately, neither of these products can be tinted. The Rust-Oleum Tub And Tile Refinishing Kit is available in a couple of other colours that can be special ordered into stores. The Rust-Oleum website shows the other colours available.

We look forward to hearing more about the projects around your house and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or would like to share them with the community. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration within the community as our creative members are sharing their own projects here every day.

Please let me know if you need further details or had questions.

Mitchell

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

bathroom makeover

I was reading a message from Bunnings about how to paint a bath. Now I don’t know about you but none of my friends can get out of the bath let alone paint it the way he did it It looked like such hard work. Sanding and scrubbing the list goes on. Surly in this day and age there must be an easier way. Shana blaze just blinks and it’s all sprayed on. My bathroom let’s down the whole house 

mrfixitbopnz
Just Starting Out

Use a automotive 2pak system or a base coat of your favourite colour followed by a 2pak clear coat. You’ll be able to paint it any colour you like and if it’s applied correctly it will be tough, durable and have a deep glass like finish that will be easy to clean and last for years. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mrfixitbopnz

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge about the automotive 2pak paint system. It sounds like you've used this technique before. If you have, can you please tell us if you've used it on a bath or bathroom furniture? How is it holding up? Any other information you can share with us about painting techniques would be very much appreciated.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects