Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I remove theses tap handles?

LisaD
Finding My Feet

How do I remove theses tap handles?

image.jpg

Hi I’m just wondering how to remove these tap handles. Thanks for your help!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I remove theses tap handles?

Hello @LisaD

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's terrific to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about removing your tap handles.

This is a tap handle with a hidden fixing. Behind the tap handle, you will see two slots, these slots take in a special tool. You'll find the tool in the Kinetic Spout And Handles Repair Kit. I've attached a photo of the screw and the tool below to give you an idea of what it looks like.

I recommend taking a picture of the back of the handle with your phone. If you see the two notches, you will need the special tool from the Kinetic kit to remove the handle. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LisaD
Finding My Feet

B6A9F044-FFA4-44BD-9BBC-55727FF4E695.jpeg

I see the two notches! Thanks so much for your help :laugh:

Hi - So when they don't want to be undone, assume frozen up some how, what do you recommend? The Kinetic tool is a bit flimsy!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kulanda. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a tap handle.

Have you tried some penetrative lubricant like WD-40? The little flexible nozzle that is included will allow you to get around the handle and spray in the back towards where the nut is. You might need to wait several hours between multiple applications to allow full penetration.

If you cannot remove the handle with a conventional method, you might need to consider a destructive technique and cut through the shank of the spindle. Obviously, not a great solution if your taps are in good nick as you'll need to replace them. However, there are some budget-friendly options for replacement.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

Thanks MitchellMc - Yes have sprayed the WD40 - leaving it for a day and I will also be trying the HairDryer method of putting some local heat around the head. Also read that the aerosol freezer applies to the head can some times work. Biggest issue at the moment is the tool is a bit neh. Might go buy a pair of circlip pliers 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Let us know if you need further assistance @Kulanda, we're here to help.

Jason

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @Kulanda 

"Might go buy a pair of circlip pliers"

I really do hope this works for you - it didn't with my taps. As I fed my circlip pliers onto it - the tap stem diameter prevented the prongs from matching the holes. I guess that's why they have the large circular gap in the original?

Please let us know if you find a plier brand that does fit. I for one will be buying them.

Cheers!

20220715_084205.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects