Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I remove this tap?

Tez
Finding My Feet

How do I remove this tap?

Hi Brains Trust! Help please, am I correct in assuming this button should just twist off? Or is it a grub screw?

It's very old and hasn't had a service in a long time so are there any tricks to get it off without doing too much damage? Any advice appreciated, thanks!

IMG_7638.jpeg

IMG_7637.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I remove this tap?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Tez. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a tap handle.

You might like to read through this helpful step-by-step guide: How to replace a tap washer. In step two you see that an adjustable spanner is used to remove the button. If the button is proving difficult to undo, you might like to spritz it with some WD-40 and leave it overnight, which will help loosen it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks a million for your response Mitchell. I've been using an adjustable spanner and gave it a good spray yesterday and unfortunately it's still not budging. Perhaps more is needed, I'll keep working on it!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Is the spanner slipping off the nut, or are you just having trouble turning it anti-clockwise, @Tez?

If the spanner isn't slipping off, you just need to give it more oomph. Sometimes, taking a hammer and lightly tapping on the back end of the spanners handle can crack the button free.

If it is slipping off, you might need to use a multi-grip spanner, as their teeth are better at gripping. However, they tend to chew up metal, so expect some damage to occur.

Mitchell

It was slipping but even with a vice grip it's not budging. It's so old and pretty stuck in there sadly! Might not be a quick job after all haha.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

And the vice-grips were holding onto it adequately @Tez? If so, give the end of their handle a little tappity tap with a hammer. That approach has never failed me yet.

Mitchell

Yeah it's on pretty good and I've been giving it some pretty good whacks 😅

It is one of those spring loaded taps so I'm wondering if there's a different way to get it off? I've done plenty of taps and never have I had this much grief haha.. thanks for your time! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The only way a button-fixed handle comes off is by undoing the button anti-clockwise @Tez. Unfortunately, this might be one for a plumber.

Mitchell

It's off!!! I was seconds away from giving up and having a beer, but one last spray and all my might and it finally budged the tiniest bit, so all I had to was repeat... now on to the next phase of getting the tap itself off which is also just as scungy. Will attach a success photo once that's off. Thanks so much for your help and patience 😊

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Well done @Tez! Sometimes they just want to hold on tight.

Shout out if you need more assistance with the rest.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects