Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How much would it cost to remove a bathtub and replace with a shower?

dingodudette
Cultivating a Following

How much would it cost to remove a bathtub and replace with a shower?

Soon it will be necessary to remove the bathtub from the second floor bathroom and replace it with a shower stall due to age related issues.

Is it advisable to DYI (we know a licensed tiler and an unlicensed plumber) and if not, who should we get to do it and how much would it cost? We are a pensioner household with strict affordability issues.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks crew.

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Re: How much would it cost to remove a bathtub and replace with a shower?

Hi dingodudette
You will need to put up a photo and more info for further advice
Its preferable you went the other way with a licenced plumber and unlicensed tiler (tilers aren't required to be licenced in WA) You can do it yourself and replace the bath with a shower but it depends on

1. The location of your water waste

2. The height and trap location Is it within the floor depth or a bulkhead beneath

3. The location of your hot and cold water tap

etc

I wouldn't be comfortable saying yes or no to whether you should DIY as A) I'm not sure what plumbing experience you have and B) I'm no expert lol
but I will tell you the 3 questions I ask myself before any new project

1) could doing this kill or hurt me or family?

2) is my home and contents insurance going to be effected

3) If something goes wrong half way through can I afford to pay an expert

A side note to point 2, it 9/10 times you will have to pay the expert a lot more to fix your mistakes and then continue with the actual job.

Good luck with it though and if you do DIY take photos :smile:
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Yes, I'd be extra careful with a second-floor bathroom. If you don't get the waterproofing done correctly for example you could have very expensive problems down the track. Probably not an area to cut corners... I'd be looking for savings elsewhere.

Thank you, I'll try to post a photo when I work out how :smile:

dingodudette
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for your advice Kermit, I'll go the "get the pro route" now that I can see the waterproofing issues. This site is very good. Others take weeks to respond (if ever)

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm going with the pro... it may cost more, but will be much less stressful!

@dingodudette

When you are in the text editor composing a reply on Workshop, just click on the insert/edit image button to upload a photo. I'll add a screenshot below.

Jason

InsertImage.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dingodudette
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Jason, I will

Here are the pictures of the bathroom. The shower used to be where the cupboard is in the second picture, so that's already plumbed (I don't know about waterproofed) and the bathtub waste is to the back of the house above the garage and laundry.

2016-10-03 08.22.01.jpg2016-10-03 08.22.23.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects